Chapter 11

~~~~~~CAROLINE~~~~~
A week later Cole and I still couldn't make eye contact and our conversations consistent of mainly two word commands like "Clean up" or "Be quiet" or my personal favorite "Stop staring." I never understood why he suddenly changed. Maybe I scared him because of what I did to that demon. I thought back to that day.

"You can come out now. " I waited. Nothing. I could hear his heart beating. I could also feel the energy surging inside me begin to subside. Suddenly the power was gone and I felt drained. The world was spinning around me and I could barely feel my body as I collapsed to the ground and heared Coles footsteps running towards me. I had woken up in the bed back at our hotel dressed in my pajamas. I didn't even want to think about how I got changed that time. I got up and walked around the rooms and found Cole asleep on the couch. He was still in his clothes and some leaves were in his hair. He looked so at peace and relaxed. Then his brow contorted and he whimpered. I sat down next to him and picked some twigs from his clothes. He jerked awake and shoved me away. I fell to the ground with a thud. I looked up at him from my new seat on the floor I wasn't mad. I understood that he was afraid if me after what he saw in the field. I closed my eyes to help hold back tears, I didn't ask for any of this. I didn't ask to be whatever I was. Then I felt his arms around me. He had told me that after a while my grandma just dissolved. He always seemed like the one who was comforting me, I was never able to help him when he so desperately needed it. He gave up everything for me. He ran away from his home, his destiny, his only family just to save my life. I know that he has to be hurting.
A crash pulled me out of my flashback.
"Damn!" Cole had dropped a bowl that he had been washing in the kitchenette.
"Do you need help with that?" I asked.
He didn't even look up. "No, I've got it."
"I can help." I walked over to him and began picking up the glass.
"I said I've got it!" He yelled at me, cutting his finger at the same time. He stood up abruptly and marched over to the door. "I'm going on a walk, don't wait up for me." Then he was gone.

------------COLE-----------
I stormed out of the hotel in a rage. Barging through the crowd in the lobby and making my way to the gardens. I couldn't go far, I had to stay close in case of an attack. Shaking with rage I marched through the vibrant colored flowers to the fountain in the center. I don't know why I was so mad. Maybe because I was tired of running. Maybe I wanted a good nights rest filled with happy dreams instead of visions of Caroline's lifeless body. Maybe it was cause the girl I was falling for was my destined enemy. Was I really falling for her? I took a deep breath and held it to slow my heart rate. She doesn't know what she is, she is technically still innocent. She killed a guilty demon. As long as she doesn't kill an innocent then was she still ok to be with?
I looked at my surroundings for the first time. It was beautiful. The glass roof letting in the sunlight that shown down on the multicolored flowers and reflected of the fountains pool. I could see myself in it like I was looking into a mirror. It was so calm and as smooth as glass. I look so different. I remember before all of this happened I looked just like a normal eighteen year old but now, looking at myself, I looked so tired. I had dark circles under my eyes and creases in my forehead. I let out the breath I had been holding and it came out more like a sob. I felt pathetic. I was supposed to be in there protecting her but instead I'm out here feeling sorry for myself. I needed to make it up to her somehow so I left the garden and headed for the nearest open shop. An old building with stain glass windows caught my eye. I don't remember it being here before when I scouted the area. Pushing through the doors I let out a gasp. The whole room shown and sparkled like a rainbow. Thousands of miniature glass statues and jewelry decorated the room on shelves and reflected a bright light from an unknown sorce shot sparks of colors in all directions. It was magnificent and definitely caused by magic. An old woman walked out from one of the rows of shelves and made her way towards me. At first she seemed like your typical run of the mill old lady until she got closer. Her eyes were as black as night and her hair was silver and wispy like fine wire that hung down her back and scraped the ground.
"Hello dear. " she said when she had finally reached me. "By the looks of your face you have never been to a witches shop. " I just shook my head. "Well, let me explain how it works then. All you have to do is think about why you are here and follow your gut. That's it! You will find exactly what you need. We'll discuss price later." I was so confused but I tried it anyway. I closed my eyes and thought about Caroline. How hurt she looked when I stormed out. About how sad she was when I had shoved her. About how small she felt when I has held her. Then I imagined her smile. How her eyes twinkled when she let out an honest laugh. I wanted to see that again. I wanted to be why she was laughing. Before I knew what I was doing I was walking.
It was like I was watching a movie through my eyes, I could feel everything but I couldn't control myself. I walked through rows and rows of glistening objects, it almost seemed like it would never end. Then I felt a tug in my gut and I could suddenly control myself again. I was in the very back of the store, where the objects didn't quite shine as much. Scanning the trinkets on the nearest shelf a flash of red caught my eye. A small red velvet box sat innocently. That was what I needed. I held the box in my hand, it was soft and light. Opening it with utmost care I reached inside and pulled out a necklace. At first I was stunned. It was a glowing chain. I couldn't tell what it was made of because the metal constantly seemed to be changing colors from gold to silver to white and so on. But what had really captured my attention was the blood red rose charm that hung from it. It was the deepest and most beautiful color of red that strongly resembled blood with a onyx black stem that twisted and wound its way around what seemed like the most gorgeous gem stone I've ever seen. It to didn't have a specific color. The rose seemed to give off a glow from within. I could feel a strange power emanating from it. Suddenly the old witch was beside me. "This is it, this is what I want." I couldn't pull my eyes from it but I could sense her stiffen.
"Why, I didn't realize that was here. I'm sorry it's not for sale." My head snapped in her direction. "Of course it is, and I'm getting it." She looked panicked.
"You don't understand young man. That's not..."
"What is the cost?" She hesitated.
"I beg you please..."
"I'll just start a tab." I was getting irritated. Barging past her I made my way out of the shop.
"You have no clue what you're getting yourself into!" She called after me. But I was already gone. I couldn't wait to give my gift to Caroline so I was practically running. The hotel was within sight now and my excitement was bursting. One second I was looking at a large building that we had found temporary refuge in and the next I was watching it burst into flames. The building had exploded. The force of the explosion threw me back, I never loosened my grip on the necklace. My ears were ringing and time seemed to slow down. The hotel was engulfed in flames and falling apart. All I could think about was Caroline, she was in there! I couldn't lose her again. From my place on the ground two shiny black shoes stopped next to my head. I found myself looking up at who was next to me and I felt my heart crumble when I met a pair of black, steely eyes. It was Death.