Chapter 5

~~~~~~~~~~CAROLINE~~~~~~~~~
My head was still spinning from the little exchange I had just witnessed. Chad was dragging me through the crowd with ease. His fingers were digging into my arm.
"Ow, Chad. That hurts! " he didn't stop until we were out back in the schools greenhouse. When he turned around his eyes were literally glowing. They were wild like a starving animal who had just spotted dinner. I felt my heart stop. "Oh my god. "
"He can't help you now. " He smiled and there were fangs. Actual fangs! I opened my mouth to scream but he quickly covered my mouth with his hand.
"I don't think so. We wouldn't want our little game to end before its even begun." He opened his mouth and chomped down in my neck. I felt sharp pain and then nothing. If it wasn't for the loud slurping sounds he was making then I wouldn't even know he was killing me. This is it. I'm going to die. I could feel my body going limp. I opened my eyes for one last look at the world and I saw Cole. He was standing in the doorway watching Chad drain the life from my body. He looked so sad. I couldn't let that be the last thing I see. I managed a smile so that he knew I was going to be happy. I would finally get to see my mom again. His eyes widened when he saw my face and his conflicted expression morphed to one of pure rage. My vision was blurring. I was able to hold on long enough to hear Cole scream.
"No! "
Then everything went black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~COLE~~~~~~~~~~~
She was smiling! Even in her final moments she was able to confuse the hell out of me. "No! " I don't know what came over me but I couldn't let her go. She was mine and mine alone. Before I knew what I was doing I had tackled Chad to the ground and was punching him in the face. He shoved me easily across the room. I hit the ground and was up a split second later. Oh no my Grim is trying to get free. I felt the familiar burning in the back of my head. No stop! I looked down and my fingers were elongating and forming claws and my teeth were growing, puncturing my lips. "No!" My bones were breaking and healing over and over again. Then my mind went. It was like I was watching a movie through my eyes, I had no control. He was finally free. I now towered over my opponent.
"You must pay! "I yelled at him. He looked terrified. Good, he would taste so much better that way.
"No! I'm sorry! " He was on his knees.
"Coward! Fight me! " He obeyed and got to his feet. Fangs bared he pounced at me. "To slow. " I grabbed hold of his neck and threw him straight to the ground. "Weak. " I was disappointed. I was hoping he would be a challenge. My first time free and I fight a weak monster. I was growing tired of his games. I raised my foot and brought it down hard on his head crushing his skull.
"Ahhhh! " I turned around towards the scream. It was Blair.
"Oh good, another fight. Hopefully youre stronger than your boyfriend here. " I snarled. She was shaking with rage.
"How dare you! " She ran at me and shifted full wolf mid stride. When she was finally close enough to to jump at me I took advantage of her weak spot and dived underneath her. My claws raked across her belly and her intestines spilled out of her. She was dead before she hit the ground.

I was hungry. Walking over to Chad I opened my mouth wide and bit into his stomach, swallowing his guts and going for more. I did the same to Blair. They were not coming back. I still had a job to do though. My beast looked over at Caroline. She was beautiful even in death. I felt myself returning to normal. My claws retracted as did my fangs. I had to hurry, surely someone heard the screams and would be coming soon. I raised my hand in the air. "Scythe!" the black smoke surrounded my hand and the cold weapon appeared in my palm. I walked over to my two victims and sliced above my their chests. Both of their souls appeared before me his was green and hers blue. I closed both of them in my hand and they were gone forever. It felt great finally fulfilling what I was meant to do. I wasn't done though. I walked over to were Caroline was laying on the ground. She almost looked as if she was sleeping. My heart twisted and before I understood what was wrong I was crying. Don't cry. What is wrong with me. I grabbed her in my arms and hugged her tightly to my chest. She can't be gone. She just can't be. I looked down at her porcelain face and remembered when we first met. She looked so shy and innocent. Then when we were at the pond and how she had opened up to me. She was to trusting. I remembered how her lips had felt on mine, soft and gentle. Finally I remembered how she had smiled at me in the very end. Trying to be strong even though she was anything but. She wasn't dead. It was impossible.
"Wake up." Nothing. "Please wake up." Still nothing. "I refuse to take your soul now wake up! " I said shaking her. Then it hit me. I still haven't collected her soul. She still has a chance! I laid her down gently and summoned my scythe. I remembered a story Death had told me about how his master had thrown a soul back into the body and that the person was resurrected. I don't care if it was said to be a myth. It was my only chance. I sliced above her chest and watched the slit appear. Her soul slipped out slowly but something was off. It wasn't blue or black or green or even red. It was white. What could that possibly mean but there was no time to think. I scooped up the energy letting it warm up in my hand. I pulled back my arm and threw it as hard as I possibly could. The slit shut up immediately and my scythe disappeared. Nothing happened so I dropped to my knees and held her once more. I lowered my head to her chest and held my breath. Nothing. I adjusted. Still nothing. I gave a silent prayer and tried one more time. There it was! It was weak but it was there. A pulse. I had resurrected Caroline. Caroline was going to live. We had to get away, I could hear voices coming so I picked her up and ran to the nearest exit. She was so light and easy to carry. I ran to my truck and gently laid her down in the seat.
"Ahhhh! " They had discovered the bodies. I needed to get away but I had to make a quick stop at home. I could hear her gentle breathing. She was going to be ok. I made a vow right then that I would protect her with everything I have until the very end.

I pulled up outside my house and silently cursed my truck for being so loud. This would go a lot smoother if Death didn't see me. No doubt the council has already contacted him informing him of the absence of a scheduled soul. I tiptoed through the front door. It was pitch black in the house. Maybe he was asleep. That hope vanished when I heard a low growl. As fast as I could I ran for the light switch and flipped it on. I barely had time to move before he charged at me. Death was partly transformed into his Grim. Shit. I dodged another attack but was grazed by his sharp claws.
"What have you done! " He screamed. "Where is she? "
"What are you talking about? " I tried to act innocent.
"The girl! " He was towering over me and he looked furious.
"She died! " it wasn't a total lie. She had died but wasn't dead anymore.
"Cole! I was just contacted by the council and they have yet to receive her soul. They said that they instead received an innocent and a guilty soul. Care to explain? "
"Maybe her soul got lost on the way. " I was about to tell him something I knew I probably shouldn't. "Her soul was white. "
He stopped moving and for a moment he seemed to stop breathing. "White? "
"Yes, sir. "
"Oh no this is bad, very bad. "
"Why?" but it was no use, he was lost in his thoughts. At least he had shifted back to normal though. I took this opportunity to sneak up to my room and grab a back pack I had hidden in my closet. I made sure he was back in his study before I left. This time for good. I hopped in my truck and sped out of the driveway as fast as I could. Caroline was still asleep and I hoped she would stay that way for awhile. We were now officially running from Death.