Medieval Fantasies

By the end of lunch, the school was buzzing.

This nobody kneed Gabriel Hunter in the balls?

I guess they didn't know me. Not that I ever wanted them too. They weren't important to me, they were just students, doing as they were told and following the school's social code. I wouldn't call myself an outcast, seeing as I wasn't one to step out of their guidelines. But this.

This was.

"Wow," Summer appeared to my right and kept up with my stride. "I knew it. I knew you had a ballsy attitude." She smirked. "Get it? Ballsy? Balls-y?"

The lame joke made me smile. "I get it, I get it."

"But seriously. That attitude will get you no where in life."

If I inherited it from my parents, then of course I would end up with no life.

The thought of turning into another replica of my parents sent a shudder through me. No, not in this lifetime, not ever, would I turn into my parents. If I ever had a child, I wouldn't force them to pay my bills.

Besides the point, I really loved my parents. Even though I never saw them half the time, I still loved them. Maybe it was the post cards they sent, maybe the $10 notes they sent from whichever currency they were in, or maybe it was a string of hope that they would realize what they had neglected - who, more specifically - dangling from such a worn thread, but either way, I still loved them.

Summer brought me back to reality.

"-kick him in the balls. He's generally a nice guy."

"What?" I asked confused, walking into Gym.

"Frank. He's a sweetheart, really! And the best thing about it is he looks just like you!" She grinned. We headed into the change rooms.

"Great, so the guy you're trying to hook me up with is my identical twin." I glanced at her. "Nice."

She rolled her eyes. "No, you idiot, he has the same sense of style as you. Ripped jeans, band T-shirts, not to mention he loves music."

"And you think that because we both love music instantly means we're soulmates? Get real, Summer. There's too many people in this world to just suddenly have your 'soulmate' close to-"

"I'm not talking about soulmates! You have to start this dating sometime. You can't just find your 'soulmate', I get that, but if you do find this amazing guy, he doesn't want some inexperienced loser. He also doesn't want a girl who kicks them in the balls, either. So clean up your attitude."

During her speech, I slipped into my Gym clothes and we headed back out. A few people stared at me, but it wasn't the whole population like I was expecting.

"Gee. Inexperienced loser, huh?" I smiled bitterly and looked away.

"That didn't come out right, I'm sorry." She was sincere but I didn't look at her. "Really. I didn't. But sometimes. Sometimes, I really really wish you were different. Gushing over guys. Nail painting. High heels."

"I actually like all those things. I gush over guys," I shrugged. "Just never in front of you."

"Just give Frank a try, Alex. What's the worst that could happen?"

"Don't say those words, they always end up with trouble."

"Which one's?" She teased, lowering her voice so she didn't get reprimanded from the teacher since he had launched into what we were planning to do today. "The, 'what's the worst that could happen'?"

"Yes, because something always happens. And it definitely isn't good."

*~*

I sighed and shifted the bag higher on my back.