Prologue

This story Falling in Love and other Conditions of Living including all chapters, prologues, epilogues and associated content is copyrighted. All rights are reserved by me, the author, kelliekook and any unauthorised copying is subject to punishment by law. Any otherwise copyrighted content (i.e. images, links) is not my own and therefore not covered by my copyright. No copyright infringement intended.

********

Dedicated to my dear best friend, Hannah, and all that she has done for me over the years.

© kelliekook

Rachel West had always been different. 

As a child, she had never been interested in Barbie dolls or playing dress-up. As a teenager, she had never been interested in rebelling against her parents, or falling all over teen heartthrobs like Heath Ledger or Zac Efron. And now, having just reached the big 2-0 she isn't interested in sex or partying. As far as Rachel was concerned, none of that got her anywhere that mattered.

In her eyes she had one chance -- one life on this earth -- and she'd be damned if she didn't ace it.

For you see, Rachel believed that from the moment she could walk, if there was any way she could excel in life -- anything that would benefit her in the long run -- she would study it until it was memorised and learn it until it became natural.

For Rachel West, work always came before play.

This way of thinking was not the outcome of pressure from overly pushy parents. On the contrary, Mr and Mrs West were just your average run-of-the-mill, supportive parents. They loved Rachel dearly, and strived to give their only child the upbringing she deserved. 

Sure they encouraged her to put her best effort into all that she did, but never to an extent where Rachel would feel ashamed to bring home anything less than an A+. In fact, they often tried to dissuade her from working. 

In the West household, there were never any cases of 'five more minutes mum and then I'll do my homework' but instead 'five more minutes mum and then I'll take a break from my homework'.

While it deeply puzzled her easy-going parents, family and friends were even more bewildered. But over time they all grew to accept it and, if anything, expect it.

Her father used to say; 'it was just the way she was and would always be'. So, you can imagine  it came as quite a surprise to him when many years later he found himself to be wrong.