Chapter 10-Is It Finally Time?

Alma had reluctantly agreed to a beach day when the children refused to stop bugging her about it. She'd decided to wear her hair down, knowing it'd get ruined anyway and not wanting to lose anymore pins than she already had. She wore a plain black one piece, and though it was simple you still couldn't look at her with a straight face.

You on the other hand wore a white one piece with a lemon design. And Alma certainly wouldn't admit it, but she thought you looked wonderful. "Y/n! Will you come and play in the water with us?" Bronwyn had run up to where you'd been lying on a towel. "Please?"

"Well that'd depends, dear. How cold is it?" You propped yourself up on your elbows to look at her.

"It's cold." She said, sighing defeatedly, probably assuming you wouldn't join them.

"Then I'd better hurry and get in the water so I can get used to it." She nodded and grabbed your hand, helping you stand then letting go and running off to rejoin everyone in the water. You slowly wadded into the water, not wanting to become overwhelmed by the cold. And then someone slammed into your back, knocking you under.

When you resurfaced you gasped and used one hand to wipe your hair away from your face as you fully stood, looking around. And then your eyes landed on Hugh, who was poorly hiding his laughter. "Oh, you little-!" You cut yourself off and lunged at the boy, missing him as he kicked away, going to swim into deeper water.

You soon caught him by the ankle and dragged him back to you. Grabbing him by the shoulders and dunking him under for a second. When he resurfaced he was laughing despite being so out of breath.

"Y/n!" Emma called to you and waved you over to where she was standing in waist deep water, not wanting to venture out into the ocean any further with her boots. Olive stood next to get grinning mischievously. You waded over to them with what you hoped was a suspicious look instead of an amused one. "So this game has been going on a while, has it not?"

"It's only been around a month, Emma. Why.?" You glares at her, any amusement was definitely gone from your face at the mention of the game.

"You should tell her. How you really feel. I'm certain she feels the same way." Olive spoke, with a suspiciously large grin on her face.

"And how would you know that?" You spat, your mood turned sour at the conversation.

"Do you really think she would've let the game go on for a month if she didn't like you, even just a little bit?" Emma said, waving her arms in the air and making strange gestures for dramatic effect. "Me and Olive are both positive she likes you! You just gotta confess to her!"

"Olive and I." You corrected the younger girl. She gave you a bored look and you could clearly see she wasn't impressed with your obvious avoiding the question. "I can't." You spared a glance at the headmistress in question who was sitting on a towel on the beach. She was grinning as the twins did a small dance for her, Claire singing words you couldn't hear. When the were finished she clapped and brought them all into a hug. She cared so much for them. And you knew she cared for you too. Just not romantically.

"Why can't you?" Olive asked, following your gaze, smiling a bit when she saw Miss Peregrine and the three children.

"Because if she doesn't feel the same then I'll just be embarrassing myself. And what will she think of me afterwards?" You shook your head then hid your face in your hands for a moment. "I couldn't bear it if she hated me."

"Excuse me? Have you even met Miss Peregrine?" Emma's tone sounded one of a mother scolding a child for stealing a cookie. "She accepts everyone. No matter of their peculiarity, background, or who they love. If she doesn't feel the same, and she does, she'd let you down softly and quit playing the game. And she most definitely wouldn't treat you any differently afterwards. And you'd be a fool to think she would."

As much as you wanted to, you couldn't argue with that. You knew she was mostly right. Except for one thing, that Alma loved you. "Fine." You groaned and waded out of the water. The two girls were close behind but eventually split away from you to avoid suspicion. The sand felt uncomfortable as it stuck to your feet when you walked over to sit next to the headmistress. Emma and Olive sat on another towel nearby, just in hearing range.

"Alma?" You gave her a nervous glance. The two teenagers nearby tried to look like they weren't listening.

"Yes, darling?" She didn't look at you, seemly distracted by keeping an eye on the children.

"Do you think she'll go through with it? Is it finally time?" Emma whispered to the redhead next to her.

"Don't go in the water, it's freezing." You said, choosing to back out. You weren't ready to tell her, not yet.

"No. No I don't think she will." Olive whispered back, earning a playful hit on the shoulder from Emma.

"Noted. Did you have fun though?" You nodded and hummed, laying back on the towel that laid beside Alma's. "Good."

"Welp, that was stupid." Olive stood up, using a hushed tone so as not to be overheard by her headmistress. "I'm going to go and boil the water now."

"Olive. Sit back down, now." Miss Peregrine glares at the girl, making her drop back to the ground without a second thought. Apparently she hadn't been quiet enough. Despite being stressed you couldn't help but laugh at the situation.

—————

Sorry I haven't been updating. I've been more stressed than Y/n