Chapter 48

[Sakura's Office]

Memories that she couldn't see clearly flooded her mind. It was as if she was looking at back-to-back short clips taken by an unfocused camera. She knew they were memories; she could see her hair color blended in the blur. She could also see pitch-dark hair blurred in... She just wasn't sure who it belonged to.

Kai or... or?

Or who?

She couldn't remember. What was she just thinking about? Who was she trying to remember?

Sakura tried to go back once again. She always tried to focus on the thoughts that didn't make sense to her, and when she almost had it, things got confusing all over again. She couldn't understand why.

Maybe...

"You love me." Kai's voice suddenly appeared.

Of course, she did. Why wouldn't she?

"Sakura?"

Sakura blinked at her name being called out in a harsh tone. "What?" she frowned.

"We called you like ten times," Ino frowned back.

She blinked again and then took in the blonde as well as her two teammates sitting on her office's couches.

When did they get here?

They were there long enough for them to pull out to-go plates and set up everything for them to get started eating. Had she zoned out that badly?

Yes, because she was close to cracking something.

What...was it again?

"Sakura!" Naruto whined. "Would you snap out of it already? Your foods going to get cold."

"I'm not hungry," Sakura stated before giving up on her thoughts and getting back to the work she had on her desk.

"That's too bad," Naruto spoke while digging in. "Come eat."

Sakura hesitated a moment before standing up and taking a seat beside her teammate. They'd been on her case a lot lately with things she didn't understand. She wouldn't have cared, they'd always been dramatic, she just didn't like the way they were making it seem like her husband was a bad guy.

She managed to eat half of the food on her to-go plate which they were dramatically happy about. It irked her when they treated her like a child.

"We're just worried about you," Naruto had said, but it was more than that.

Maybe Kai's right? They're trying to get in between us.

That was why they were constantly accusing him of things that weren't true like her being 'sad' or 'off' when she was perfectly fine.

"So, how are you?"

Here we go again.

Sakura forced a smile toward the blonde sitting across from her. Ino was the one who had pushed her to Kai, now it seemed she changed her mind. Ridiculous. She couldn't just toss him aside, but she talked as if it were that simple.

Even if it was, why would she want to?

"I'm great."

She noticed Sai staring at her as if trying to determine whether she was lying or not. By the look in his eyes, she could tell he was leaning more on 'no' but had never been good at reading people.

"Right," Naruto started. "What are you doing tonight? We're all planning—"

"Kai and I were planning a movie night," she lied, though she couldn't comprehend why. The words came out of her before she could even realize what she was about to say.