Chapter 5

Ashlynn ended up falling asleep in Grace's bed. Grace clutched her blankets and tucked her in. Ashlynn's gentle snoring got louder.
"Reckon the hot cocoa knocked you out," Grace chuckled to herself. She proceeded to her desk and took one of her unused candles, substituting the ruined candle from the night before in her rose gold candle holder. Carefully illuminating it, Grace grasps her olive silk robe and swiftly secures it around her body.
She makes her way down the hallway being as quiet as a mouse, careful not to disturb her father. Walking the dark hallways her mind is at ease with the peaceful quietness of the manor, it was freeing. Grace quietly went into the kitchen and snuck out the servant's door to the yard, she arranged herself on the soft grass, staring up at the stars. A light breeze drifted through the air here and there, but the fresh air was what she needed.
"What in the world?" Grace whispered, noticing a small light, not from her candle, near the tree swing that was put in place many years ago, "And what do you think you're doing?" Grace asked, crossing her arms.
"I uh-" James stuttered, being caught.
"Was about to put that terrible thing out?" Grace said, glaring at the lit cigarette in his hand. James rolled his eyes and took a puff of the stick.
"They aren't so bad you know?"
"Yes," Grace said, grabbing the cigarette from his hand, throwing it onto the ground, and stepping on it, "they are!" she expressed harshly.
"Hey!" James got up abruptly.
"No, James, You can smoke if you desire later on in life, but you are too young! And particularly in this house! What if father had witnessed you!?"
"You aren't mother, Grace!" He shouted, storming off.
Grace called his name, but James ignored her antics and proceeded to his quarters.
"Lovely, just lovely," Grace sighed to herself. Then, proceeding her way into the house to her bed. After all, they have a picnic and a ball in merely a few hours.
    "Grace! Grace!"
"AH! Is someone hurt? What's going on?" Grace frantically shrieked, bolting awake from the bed.
"Ow, yes. Me, in fact." Ashlynn spoke, holding her head.
"Ow, Sorry, Ashlynn. Is something wrong?"
"Yes! You're not up! Come on! You promised you would take us to the park!"  Ashlynn said, jumping up and down on the bed.
"Hush please, What time is it?" Grace grumbled.
"Half past ten, Come on!" Ashlynn voiced excitedly, running out of the room as Grace descended back into the mound of pillows.
"Good morning, my lady. Tea or coffee?" Izzy spoke, stepping in with a silver tray.
"I know I should express tea, but please, coffee," Grace sighed, advancing for the tea cup Izzy was passing.
"So, I hear from Miss Ashlynn we are heading to the park this midday?" Izzy smiled, pulling out a pale green chiffon gown from the armoire, and laying it out onto the bed.
"Has she told the entire household yet?" Grace chuckled, obtaining from the bed to dress.
"She has been awake since twenty to nine this morn, dashing through the house, stating how excited she is. To answer your inquiry, my lady, nearly everyone," Izzy laughed, assisting Grace with her undergarments.
"And father?" Grace worriedly asked.
"The servants have not witnessed him since last evening," She spoke, buttoning Grace's gown.
"I see..."
"Up or down today, Ma'am?" Izzy asked, tieing a matching green silk sash under her bosom.
"Down, please," Grace answered, drifting over to her vanity. Izzy nodded, grasping the hairbrush. Izzy brushed each strand of hair till it was smooth and flawless. She dutch braided the two front sections of Grace's hair and secured them with a matching ribbon fastened into a bow.
"Simple yet elegant, thank you, Izzy," Grace smiled.
"Of course, my lady. If you desire the rest bound together, later on, I will contain another ribbon to do so." Izzy replied with a grin. Grace looked over at the ticking clock, half past noon, the picnic supplies should be ready and so shall the twins.
"Izzy, please have the twins ready down in the entryway, I'll be down in just a moment," Grace asked with a smile, standing up from her vanity.
"Of course, shall I have one of the stable boys prepare Aster?"
"AND POPPY PLEASE!" James yelled from the hall, causing Grace and Izzy to giggle.
"Eavesdropping?" Grace sassed.
"Not at all, You just simply talk loud sister," James replied, popping his head into the room.
"Go you! Let me put my shoes on then we'll be off," shooing James away as Izzy followed behind. Grace walked over to her armoire and reached for a pair of boots, was it 'unladylike' yes, she didn't care though. She planned on playing and having fun, not sitting around gossiping about scandals or talking about the weather. She would rather be covered in mud and smiling than be locked up in a tight corset, covered in jewels.
Lacing up her boots, Grace made her way down the stairs to meet the twins, but of course, they were already outside with the horses.
    "James would you like ride by yourself or with Ashlynn?"
"Myself please,"
    "Alrighty then, Ashlynn your with me," Grace smiled.
"What about Izzy, William, Robert, and Alma?" Ashlynn asked as all four of our loyal servants stood outside with them.
    "Robert-" Grace started to speak before being cut off.