Chapter 4

"Where the hell have you been!" a demanding voice yelled.
"I am sorry, Father. I was taking a stroll through the park." Grace lied, knowing to expect the worse from her father, shutting the front door to their estate.
"Do you want to explain to me why we're already in a scandal?!" Fredrick yelled, echoing through the bare hallways.
"Because of you..." Grace muttered to herself.
"What did you just say?" Fredrick threatened, stepping forward, grasping at her wrist tightly.
"It is just a gossip sheet I said," Grace spoke, looking down onto the dark green tile floor in pain.
"Go to your room, and put more makeup on. You bloody need it." He grumbled, walking away to his office, leaving Grace alone in the entryway.
"I thought home was supposed to be a safe place..." Grace whispered, walking up the staircase towards her room.
Turning the corner to the end of the hallway toward her bedroom she found her sister, sitting on the floor, crying, covered in blood.
"Ashlynn! Oh, my lord! Are you okay? What happened?" Grace practically shouted, picking up her dress and rushing to her side on the ground.
"I- I don't- know," She cried, not being able to form a sentence.
"Did you hurt yourself? Did father hurt you?" Grace asked, praying their father did not touch the little one.
"No, I- I was just coming to say goodnight to you. When- when I started bleeding," Ashlynn cried, settling her head onto her older sister's shoulder.
"Hey, shhh, it's okay, it's okay," Grace whispered, trying to calm her sister.
Ashlynn looked up tearfully, "Am I dying? I don't want to die,"
"No, You're not dying," Grace spoke, looking into her sister's scared eyes, "Come, let us clean you up, and we can talk," She grinned, standing up.
"Okay..." Ashlyn said, sniffling, taking her sister's hand to help her up.
"We'll have someone clean this up, and maybe we can have some hot cocoa," Grace expressed cheerfully, hoping to put a smile on Ashlynn's face.
Grace knew this would happen when their mother left. She had to play the role of the mother to James and Ashlynn. She knew their father could care less and wouldn't do anything, so she had to.
"My lady?"
"Yes?" Grace spoke, turning to see her lady's maid, Izzy, carrying two letters.
"For you," She stated, passing them over.
"From who?"
"Mr. Bridgerton and Lady Danbury,"
"Oh, I see. Um, Izzy? can you help Ashlynn clean up? It appears to me she has begun her first monthly,"
"Ah, I see. She is at that age now,"
"Yes, I know,"
"Would you like me to talk to her?" Izzy questioned.
"Uh, No, I will. Uh, I will be in soon. Just give me a few moments," She smiled, preoccupied with the letters. Izzy delivered a quick bow and went into the washroom to assist Ashlynn.
The cream-colored envelopes were rough against Grace's fingertips. Lady Danbury's letter was sealed with deep crimson wax and an impression of a rose, while Lord Bridgerton's letter was sealed with light blue wax, with a mark of a bee.
Deciding to open Lady Danbury's letter, Grace made sure she did not ruin the seal.

Lady Fawn, You are cordially invited to the Danbury estate Thursday evening for the first ball of the season.

Sincerely, Lady Danbury.

Grace walked into her bedroom across the hall and pulled out one of her prewritten thank you letters, accepting the invitation. Once done, she glanced at the unopened letter from Lord Bridgerton. Grace sighed and set the letter in her desk drawer, intending to read it later.
*Knock, knock*
"Come in," Grace voiced, pretending to complete her letter to Lady Danbury as her heart pounds faster than a racehorse going a million miles an hour.
"Ashlynn is asking to come in, my lady," Izzy spoke as Ashlynn poked out from behind her.
"Yes, of course!" Grace laughed. Ashlynn rushed in, leaping onto Grace's bed with a grin.
"Will that be all?" Izzy questioned.
"Yes, Will you see if one of the kitchen staff can make some hot cocoa? And please see that this letter gets sent to Lady Danbury," Grace smiled.
"Are you going to a ball?! I've heard Lady Danbury is known for her balls!" Ashlynn shouted happily.
"And how would you know that?" Grace giggled, "But yes, in fact, it happens to be Thursday evening at her estate."
"Can I come?!" Ashlynn begged.
"I'm afraid you need to be a few years older to attend, petit," Grace spoke, causing Ashlynn to be disappointed.
"I'm fourteen, Grace," Ashlynn frowned.
"Alright, Bambi," Grace and Izzy laughed as Grace got a pillow thrown at her. *Gasp* "Oh, you are so dead!"
"I have them bring the hot cocoa up," Izzy chuckled, giving a bow and taking her leave.
"Thank you!" Grace shouted, hitting her sister with a pillow.
After a few minutes of pillow combat and the lovely conversation about changing bodies, Ashlynn finally settled down, plopping onto the bed, out of breath.
"Grace?"
"Yes?"
"Can we go out tomorrow?" Ashlynn requests, tracing the wrinkles on the bed.
"Of course, no need to ask," Grace answered.
Silence filled the room, a long heart aching silence.
"Father made another servant quit." Ashlynn's voice spoke in sorrow.
"I know,"
"I'm scared,"
"Me too, little one, me too," Grace replied, letting her mind wonder.

The Willow's Diamond (on a break)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara