3

You shook your head at him being all technical with the time and smiled. "Plus, why do you always get vanilla? There's better milkshake flavors."

"There is not, vanilla is a classic." He argued back, you shook your head again.

"A classic, yes. But it's also boring! What about strawberry?"

"Too artificially flavored and never enough real strawberry pieces in it."

"Chocolate?"

"Same thing, chocolate milk is way better than a chocolate shake."

"Peanut butter?"

"Too thick! Never a good consistency."

"Oreo? It's like your vanilla with some chocolate added, and cookies!"

"No, still has too much chocolate in it. Vanilla is the way to go, princess. You can't argue with me on this."

You narrowed your eyes at him, receiving the same look back from him. You smirked slightly, choosing your next words carefully. "Oh, I see. You just like it because you are vanilla."

He gasped, and shook his head. "That's not nice, (y/n). You're most definitely way more vanilla than I am." He took another sip of his shake and watched you, pouting his lips out like a little kid.

You groaned and glanced over at Steve and Robin. Steve was still flirting with the blonde, by now she was sitting there drinking her milkshake while staring at him, and Robin was staring are you and Gareth with a smile on her face. You blushed slightly—Robin has always been one of the top people that wanted you and Gareth to be a couple, and she was never really discreet about it either. She always thought you two would be the perfect couple that everyone envied.

"So, what's on your big list for us this summer?" You asked, redirecting your attention to Gareth.

"Oh, well, you see." He said, picking up his phone and unlocking it. "There's a whole page I have on notes that I want to slowly cross off with you." He showed you his screen and slowly scrolled through the list. You read through some of them, nodding along. "If there's anything you want to do that's not on this list please tell me, I kind of ran out of ideas at the end."

"Ah, I do see," you smiled. You looked at him and reached over the table for his milkshake. He pouted as you pulled the glass towards you. You giggled and took a sip of it, "yummy, vanilla!"

"Remind me why I don't just get two straws for my shake, because you usually end up drinking more of it than I do." You shook your head in response, taking another sip. "Yes, yes you do. You owe me one whole milkshake." He added, reaching back for his drink. He pulled it back towards him, grabbing the straw with his hand to make sure it came with his drink.

You frowned. "You never finish your milkshakes, I'm just helping."

"I never get the chance to finish them, since you always take them from me!" He objected, looking at you. You giggled slightly, watching his face. He pouted more, sighing. "I hate you."

"Oh please, you love me. What're you gonna do when I finally leave you and Hawkins?"

"Honestly?" He started, "I'm not entirely sure what I'll do. I guess I'll have to hang out with the kids more. Dustin and Mike are pretty cool, so are Lucas and Will. I guess I'll just play the drums all day everyday." You frowned, and he smiled slightly. "I guess I'll also be able to finally enjoy a whole milkshake to myself while you're gone, though. So that's a plus."

"Alright, you two. Foods here!" Robin exclaimed, walking towards you with two baskets of food. "For Gareth I have a bacon cheeseburger, no onion or tomato with some fries." She placed the black basket down in front of him before turning her attention to you. "And for you, (y/n), I have a cheeseburger, with ketchup and mustard. With some fries, and ranch on the side." She placed an identical basket in front of you and pulled a ketchup bottle out of her apron. She placed the bottle down on the table and looked at both of you. "Need anything else?"

You both shook your head, smiling at her. "I think we're good, thanks Robin." You said.

"Yeah, all set. Thanks." Gareth looked at her and smiled slightly. He looked around her to the counter, "plus I think you have to go babysit Steve while he flirts." You giggled, watching Robin turn back to Steve who still had the blonde wrapped around his finger.

"I tell you, sometimes it's like I run this diner myself." She sighed, shaking her head as she walked back towards him.

"That's because you do," you said, looking back at Gareth, who already had his face stuffed full of food. You smiled and began eating your own food.

"So, what's next on todays to do list?" You asked while eating some of your fries.

"Why do you always ask? I'm not going to tell you." He smiled, finishing up his fries. "It's a surprise, princess. I know you don't really like surprises, but I love seeing your face light up when you see where we are; like earlier. As soon as I pulled into Hop's you got so excited, it makes me happy." He smiled, looking at you. You blushed slightly and shook your head.

The hold this boy had on you was unreal. The butterflies he still gave you in your stomach after knowing him for over 18 years was magical; there's no way married couples still feel this, right?

Granted, yes, he was only your best friend, but no boy has ever made you feel like this. Like the summer a few years ago when you had a fling with Jonathan; you did love him, it was true. But you both knew you were never going to last past that summer. So you just enjoyed your time together while you had it.

And once Jonathan found Nancy it was obvious they were meant to be together; look at them.

They are a couple.

You are Gareth are not. Despite you wishing it would happen.

"I have a fun afternoon and early evening planned for us today, then I figured we'd order pizza and chill and watch a movie." He continued, smiling at you. You smiled slightly and nodded.

"Surfer Boy?" You asked, excitedly. He smiled more and nodded.

"Of course. Your favorite with breadsticks."

By then Robin came over and collected your empty baskets. "Thanks Robin, how much do we owe you?" You asked, pulling money out of your pocket.

"Oh, nothing. It's on me and Steve! Happy summer, guys." She smiled, leaving the table before you and Gareth could even argue.

"Well, thanks!" You yelled towards her, she waved her free hand at you both as she walked into the back. You turned back to Gareth and smiled. "Where now?"

"My car so I can drive to the next destination, duh." He stood up and put his hand out for you. "M'lady." You took his hand and smiled softly.

"Thank you, kind sir."