Part 6: Formal Introductions

Katarina could feel a presence suddenly appear in her apartment, her eyes snapping open as she sat up and she let out a grunt as pain shot through her body. Though she was able to rest, she wondered if it was even for her benefit because now that she was conscious, she could truly feel every ache of her body, feeling as if bricks had been dropped on her. Tears threatened to pour from the corner of her eyes but she forced them back, trying her best to clear her vision so she could pinpoint the presence she felt. She heard a gasp and felt cold hands hovering over her body, her eyes squeezing shut for a moment before opening, her vision clearing enough for her to see the look of worry on Death's face.

"Shit," Katarina mumbled, her head leaning back against the couch as she felt Death kneel beside her, looking across the various bruises that decorated her body. "Don't start, Death. Please?"

"Are you seriously going to play so nonchalant with me, Katarina?"

"Not my government name," Katarina groaned and Death rolled her eyes, trying to be gentle as she raised Katarina's arm. "What are you even doing here? Come to spare me?"

"You would like that, wouldn't you?" Death scoffed, shaking her head. "I was running appointments while catching up with my brother but I felt your consciousness fall a little too far away so I had to check in."

"What a kind friend," Katarina joked, inciting a smile from the Endless before her eyebrows furrowed, "Wait, your brother?" Death nodded and gestured to the man clad in all black, who stood on the other side of the coffee table that sat between the two couches. He looked different, better nourished, but Katarina recognized the perfectly unkempt black hair, his blue eyes matching the shine of the stars within his black cloak as he stared at her. If she wasn't so distracted by her pain, she would dare say he looked worried for the little witch.

"Katarina," Death said, smiling, "My little brother, Dream. Dream, Katarina. She is one of my dearest friends."

"We've actually met before," Katarina said, "It is good to see you well and outside of a cage, Lord Morpheus." Dream offered a nod of acknowledgement, making her smile before she let out another groan as Death pressed a little too hard onto her abdomen.

"May I?" Death asked and Katarina sighed.

"Must you?" She retorted and Death gave her a stern look before moving to lift the bottom of her shirt up right below her bra, another gasp leaving Death's lips. "It's that bad?"

"Who did this to you?" Death asked instead of answering and Katarina muttered curses as she adjusted on the couch, her eyes widening a bit. Her stomach was various shades of purple and yellow, the bruises forming differently depending on which area the blows were focused on and she felt her anger rise as she imagined the four cowards ambushing her.

"I took care of them, Death, worry not,"

"How can I possibly not worry when-?"
"Run me a bath?" Katarina cut in and Death's eyebrows furrowed, "Please, dear friend? I understand your worry but it is being wasted on me. Simple healing spell on water and voila! Healing bath."

"I swear, Katarina, you will be the end of me."

"Oh, how ironic to end an Endless," Katarina smirked and Death sent a playful glare over her shoulder before she disappeared into the doorway of the bathroom, the creak of the shower being turned heard before the sound of water. Katarina took a deep breath, wincing at the piercing pain near her bottom rib cage as she attempted to get up but her effort was in vain as she landed back on the cushion.

"Wait," Katarina's eyes widened at the deep, sultry voice that cut through the room, her eyes moving to look up at Dream as he held his hands out to her, "You are in no condition to be moving on your own."