Chapter 2 - A Bloodbath Is Coming

Third Person's Narrative;

"Tell me, who is that boy, out there? And what is he saying!? "Queen Kofoworola yells at her husband as they walk into their bedroom, and King Adelaja takes off his crown as he massages his forehead with his fingers.

"Adelaja, answer me! Who is that boy!? "The queen further demands. Calling her husband by his name, and this time the king knows that she is enraged as she only ever calls him by his name when she's upset with him.

"Kofo, I can swear that I've never laid eyes on him before. I don't know where he came from. "The king replies honestly, and his beautiful, angry wife gives him a look.

"And Omolara. Who is she? "She questions. With her arms crossed under her breasts. Packing the two round balls up, and the king gulps at the tempting sight.

The king falls silent as he stares at his wife. Firstly due to the anger, she is failing so miserably to hide, and secondly, due to the answer, he's about to give.

"Don't lie to me, Laja. Tell me the truth. Who is Omolara? "She further demands, and king Adelaja gulps.

"Omolara used to be... One of the palace maids. She... She was my maid, but after my marriage to you, she vanished. I never saw or heard from her again... "He replies honestly, and the queen's heart falls a little in fear of that answer she would get if she asks the question she is about to ask next.

"And you had an affair with her?? "She questions. Hoping with all her being that the king would say no. But that doesn't happen.

"I... I... It was only once! I was a young boy, then. It was in the heat of the moment. I didn't think that the events of just one night would come back to hit me in the stomach like this! "He replies honestly, and the queen staggers in hurt, fear, and disbelief.

"So, it's true... "She mutters in hurt, and the king's heart falls in guilt.

"Kofo, please... Try and understand. I didn't cheat on you. I... Never did. "He tries to explain, and his wife glares up at him.

"Is that the point!? Laja, this abominable thing hasn't just come back to affect you, it has come for all of us! What will happen now? To our son! He was only crowned king a few minutes ago! "Queen Kofo expresses her worries, and the king falls silent. Not knowing the answer to give to his wife.

There is a knock on their door, and the king turns to it in irritation.

"Who is it? "He calls in annoyance, and one of the palace guards answers.

"Sorry to disturb you, my king. But the Iya Oba has sent for you and the queen to return to the celebration hall. "The guard informs, and the king looks over at his wife who is glaring at him with wide, teary eyes.

"We're coming! "He replies, and the guard leaves.

The king knows that there's no point in staying to talk to his wife. There is nothing he can do, and there is nothing to be said. He needs to be a man in this situation and grab the bulls by the horn.

However, it's easier said than done. He is faced with two sons wanting the same thing. He is very confused and for the first time, does not know in what direction to turn.

The one who always used to be his compass is also distraught and isn't even looking at him the way she always used to. His wife is very upset with him. So upset that she's looking at him like he has suddenly turned into some abominable beast. It seems he's on his own now. He has to find a way to fix this.

"Kofo, please try and understand. Anyone could have made this mistake. I never meant for this to happen, and I didn't even know that that boy exists. "The king says to his wife, but she simply looks away with tears rolling down her eyes, and gives him no reply.