∆ Eighteen ∆

Wren saw the noticeable difference in Silas' demeanor after speaking those words to him that night. The distance that Wren once felt developing between them seemed to close in an instance. Silas ran up to him and grabbed his arm, dragging him to yet another stall filled with items from varying countries.

This one, in particular, displayed wares from Rwasa. Small wooden figurines of lions, cheetahs, and mystical beasts sat on shelves. Colorful beads made from bronze hung from the sides, jangling ever so often when there was movement or wind. Wren had seen this aplenty already. However, the fascination etched onto every crevice of Silas' face made a smile blossom on Wren's.

Silas took to another stall away from the flurry of people coming their way. He still had a firm grasp on Wren's arm leading him where he so pleased.

"Look! Taste it," Silas said nearly shoving a steaming, hot sweet potato in his mouth. Wren took a couple quick steps backwards bumping into some mainlanders. They hissed and went on their way, but Wren was sure Silas glared at them, threatening them to try and do anything more.

"Forgive me," Silas muttered as Wren handed the seller a few relis. He took the sweet potato from his hand and blew on it before lifting it to his face and took a small bite of it.

Wren relished the taste, reminding him of home in an instance. Perhaps, he would like to try it as well. Wren inched it towards Silas' face. He stared at Wren for a moment and proceeded to take a bite of it, surprising Wren. He did not think Silas would eat it. There was still so much Wren had yet to understand about him and it unnerved him.

As they neared the bone fire, the crowds grew less. The noise of festival was becoming much like the distant sound of waves brushing up against a sandy beach. It allowed him time to think and reflect, but it was not for very long. Silas stopped him as he was about to take a larger bite and looked at Wren, truly looked at him as if peering through his soul.

"If you will be serving me on my journey to my memories then I must be honest and tell you now I will not be going on your ship from here."

Wren furrowed his brows half expecting this. He was acting terribly strange and maybe that was one of the reasons why.

"This does not surprise me," Wren answered, taking a bite of the sweet potato.

"Further inland is where I must go."

"As I said before, I will come. However, inland is... It is dangerous for islanders to go."

"Mainlanders... Islanders... You refer to them as if separate. Once before everything was whole. Like the sky and seas." Silas motioned with his hands the togetherness he spoke of like the storytellers from Yalawii.

"Yes, well... the distinction is quite notable these days. You see how they treat us here at the ports. It will be worse further inland."

"You worry for me?"

Wren scoffed, taking one bite after another then swallowed. Of course, he did. It was all he ever did as of late, and it was exhausting. "I believe your expectations of things and how things truly are may be at odds with one another. I want to be sure you have a firm understanding of this."

Silas did not bother to make eye contact. Instead his eyes drifted towards the flames from the bonfire growing stronger with each passing second. He stared at Silas waiting for a reply that seemingly would never come. Again, it felt as if Silas was hiding away something. He could hardly ask Silas to confide in him when he had been avoiding him for a time. The trust was not there. Will it ever be? He was a god, after all... That ate people.

After what seemed like an eternity of silence, Wren noticed a small smile appear on Silas' face. Silas ducked his head drawing loose strands of hair to his face. Soon after he ran his fingers through his hair and made eye contact with Wren.