7. Comfort

At some point in the afternoon, after an insubstantial meal made up of whatever he could reach in the pantry, Dean hauled himself out of his chair and into his bed. It was far too big for just one person, but there was no one he could share it with. Well, there was one person, but the thought of having Castiel so close to him made his skin crawl in confusing ways. Dean tried to sleep, and he tried to block out the screaming and the gunshots. He tried to block out everything and actually managed it. He found himself floating in a totally calm and quiet space that was so beautiful and perfect that Dean dared not breathe too heavily in fear of breaking it. When Cas trudged back in and the door slammed shut, the peace shattered. The door shut with a bang like a shotgun and Dean jolted in surprise and fear, flipping off the bed and instinctively reaching for something to shield him.

"Dean?" Cas asked warily, having heard the thud of Dean hitting the floor.

Dean shut his eyes and crumpled against the wall, panting and trying to calm down. The wound in his chest was stinging. It was almost unbearable and it turned his legs to jelly. "In here!" he gasped as loudly as he could with what little breath he had. He was in pain. His head was spinning and when he looked down, he saw red soaking through his white shirt. He'd torn it back open, popped his stitches.

Castiel rushed to Dean's aid immediately, the tiniest of blushes present. He took hold of Dean, and wrapping an arm around him, lifted the man onto the bed.

Dean shivered and cursed inwardly at the tingling sensation in his stomach. He focussed on Cas' hands and they tore at the shirt, ripping it open and peeling back the bandages. Dean sucked in a sharp breath and took hold of Cas' arm.

Castiel stared down at him, wide eyed, mouthing hanging open ever so slightly. "We should get you to a hospital," he murmured, resting a hand on Dean's chest.

Dean covered Cas' hand with his own. He could feel blood seeping between their fingers. "No. Please. You do what you can… and then whatever happens, happens."

Cas shook his head. "I don't know how to fix this…"

Dean fixed his eyes on Castiel's, giving his hand a gentle squeeze and mentally slapping himself for feeling so God damn excited about the contact. "Luckily, I do. I'll… talk you through it." He grimaced and found his fingers hooking with Cas'. Dean proceeded to tell Cas what he would need. A needle, something to stitch the wound closed and a few other things, mostly to stop infection.

Cas seemed so panicked that it was almost cute. He scampered from the room, staring down at the blood on his hands as he did so.

Dean sighed and let his eyes droop shut. He wasn't entirely sure that Cas would be able to fix the torn hole in his chest, but Dean was so glad that he wasn't being forced back into a hospital. He hated the chemical smell and the smell of death and sickness. He hated the depressing, dying people there and he felt weak whenever he was in one. It was a place to go when you had no other options and Dean always tried to think of more options. There's always an alternative.

Cas came back and knelt on the bed beside Dean, panting and shaking with a look of complete and utter fear on his face.

"Calm down, Cas… You've got this."

Cas nodded and set about following Dean's muttered, pained instructions.

Dean watched the hands that pressed to his skin and he winced and put a hand on Cas' knee to steady himself. Dean stared at the hands, studying their tremble, the callouses and the scars. They were beautiful hands really, all smooth, elegant lines with tiny scars that merely added character.

Finally, Cas rested back and glanced up at Dean, a breathless smile on his face. "That's it," he sighed.

Dean grinned and pushed himself up on the pillows. He looked down at the newly patched up wound before staring up at the bright blue of Cas' eyes. He didn't realise what he was doing what he was doing until he had pulled Castiel forwards and they were kissing. When he did realise, pulled back and bit at his lip and mumbled a thank you, watching Cas carefully. He'd messed it up. I've ruined everything. Then, before he could apologise, or ask Cas to leave him, the other man had a hand wrapped around his neck and was pressing his lips to Dean's.