1. Training

Cas had always wanted to travel. He'd wanted to see the world and meet new people, but he had never for a second thought that he would find himself in England under these circumstances. He had never thought that he would fight in a war… but that's what happened. His name had been pulled out of that hat and he'd been drafted in to serve in the war that he had been so desperate to stay out of.

He'd been shipped off to be part of the 29th infantry division and he hadn't had any choice in the matter. The first few weeks had been nearly impossible to get through. He hadn't known anything about anything and the hours were ridiculous. Cas found himself starting to drift off at the most inappropriate of times due to lack of sleep. Eventually, he had grown used to things and had even started making a few friends.

It was a little while before Cas officially met the captain of his company.

Captain Dean Winchester was tall, muscular, with hair cut short and slicked back, and full lips that seemed to be permanently pursed. He had one strand of brown hair that was longer than the rest and had an annoying habit of dangling down and sticking into his eye. Dean didn't act like the other captains. He didn't act quite so serious and he seemed to be determined to keep spirits up. He had found Castiel having what appeared to be a panic attack and had helped him out.

Cas sank to the ground, resting his head back against the wall behind him. "I can't do this…"

"Of course you can," Dean said in a fake and cheerful voice. "I'm Dean, by the way. I know you probably already knew that, but I like introducing myself personally… Captain Dean Winchester." He held out his hand.

"Private Castiel Novak," Cas whispered and grabbed hold of the man's hand and allowing himself to be pulled to his feet before he shook the hand in greeting. "We've been training for over a year now, and I don't think we'll ever be ready."

"Well, you certainly won't be. Not with an attitude like that!" He clapped Cas on the shoulder and held out a flask.

Cas took it hesitantly. "Thanks…"

"No problem. I rely on that stuff to stop me going out of my mind," he rubbed at his forehead, took the flask back and spun around, wandering off slowly. "We're going to win, Castiel."

After two years of training, they had finally piled onto the boat, tapping feet and chewing lips nervously. Even Dean, who had always seemed like such a calm person, was sitting down, bouncing his knee and holding onto his flask for dear life. It was the first time that they'd really stopped to think about where they were going.

They were going to France, which up until that point had still managed to sound exciting. Then they got ready to go, and suddenly the prospect of stepping foot on a strange beach in Normandy wasn't so appealing any more.

"We have nothing to worry about," Dean was saying to himself as Cas walked over.

"You said it yourself. We're going to win," Cas sat down next to the other man.

Dean nodded to himself silently.

"Who do you have waiting for you back home?"

Dean looked up, green eyes flashing in the sunlight. "Just my Dad and my little brother Sam. They're all that I've got. I have to come home for them," Dean took a deep breath and let it out in a huff, leaning back and looking up at the sky. "What about you?"

"Just my parents, Sir."

"Don't call me that… I haven't done anything to deserve that title yet so… just call me Dean." He ran his tongue over his teeth and got up to stare down at the water beneath them.

For days now, it had seemed as though they weren't going to go ahead with it. The clouds that had been previously hanging ominously over their heads, had floated down into thick fog that blocked out everything they should have been seeing.

Castiel could feel the boat beneath his feet shifting on the water. There was no wind, only the mist and Cas could feel his clothes slowly growing damp. He turned his head to watch as the other men talked as though nothing was going on. Castiel couldn't act like that. He couldn't just pretend that they weren't about to do this. He couldn't block out his thoughts and his fears long enough to keep a conversation going. He crossed his fingers and prayed that the weather wouldn't give up and the attack would be called off.

"You're scared."

Castiel turned to see Dean standing there with his lips pursed and his arms folded in front of his chest. "I'm not scared, I'm just… impatient."

Captain Winchester smiled slightly, eyes crinkling at the corners. "It's okay to be scared. I'd even go so far as to say that it's good for you." He licked his bottom lip and shifted his gaze to the man next him.

Cas stared down at his hands. "Fear leads to hasty decisions and mistakes."

Dean let out a deep breath and nodded in agreement. "Well, if this weather doesn't improve, then I guess there'll be no chance to make those mistakes."

"Sir!" One of the other men (someone who Cas vaguely remembered had been nicknamed 'Stitch' for some strange reason) pushed his way through the crowds of men and gave Dean a lazy salute. "I've been instructed to inform you that the weather is supposed to clear up tomorrow, so the attack will be going ahead."

"Tomorrow?" For a second, Dean's bravado slipped and a spark of fear showed itself in his eye.

"Yes, Sir…" Stitch nodded and turned away again, making his way through the masses of men in uniform.

Castiel looked down at his own uniform. He couldn't help but wonder if they should all be wearing more protection. The thick green-brown material didn't seem like adequate clothing to be wearing in a battle. "I'm not ready…"

Dean's face was set into one of confidence and the fear in his eyes had gone. "Yes you are," he stared at Cas directly in the eyes and patted him on the shoulder before he went off to prepare himself.

The beach was only just visible. Not only was it far away, but the fog was still refusing to lift.

Cas' stomach churned and he adjusted the way his helmet sat on his head. He was only half listening to Dean who was shouting instructions at the crowd in front of him, going over the plan and making certain everyone knew what they were doing. Cas chewed on his lip and tried to pay more attention. He could feel his knowledge of the battle to come slipping away. He tugged on his shirt and glanced down at the blue and grey patch that was stitched into his shoulder, reminding himself of something very important. He was part of something. He belonged on the battlefield alongside all of these other men. He was Private Castiel Novak of the 29th Infantry division, the Blue and Grey. He was exactly where he was supposed to be.

"If you lose faith out there, find your reason to return home and hold onto it. You all have something, I know you do. Whether it's family, or love, or even if it's fixing that old creaking fence in your backyard, hold onto it with everything you've got. Don't give up. As long as you have a reason to go home, you have that possibility," Dean nodded and his eyes flickered to Castiel. He smiled and gave the tiniest salute.

Cas found himself smiling back, though he hadn't really deserved Dean's smile in the first place. He concentrated on the way Dean's lips pulled back from his teeth, the way his eyes sparkled and crinkled at the corners, anything to keep his mind off of what he was about to do.

Then Dean raised a fist into the air. "29, LET'S GO!" His voice boomed out and there wasn't a single person on that boat who didn't hear those words, clear as day.

Cas' stomach flipped and his head spun. He did what Dean had said and focussed on his parents. They would be so proud of him when he returned home. Well, they'd be proud of him even if he didn't return home, but that wasn't what Castiel was supposed to be thinking of.Focus on family, he thought to himself and remembered his mother kissing him goodbye as he'd reluctantly swung a bag over his shoulder. He squeezed his eyes shut and pictured his parent' faces. Cas promised himself that he would not lose faith. He promised himself that he would get through this alive. God wouldn't let him die.

"29, let's go!"