6. It Was an Accident

Over the next few weeks, they slowly spent more and more time outside, walking down to the large park and just sitting there became one of their favourite things to do apart from reading through the dusty books in the apartment.

Cas would often watch Dean out the corner of his eyes, analysing his facial expressions and the defeated slump in his shoulders, trying to determine just how unhappy he was. He came to the conclusion that it was bad, and decided never to leave Dean alone.

They had a nurse come around and check on things a few times and she shook her head with a frown on her face whenever she remembered that Castiel was looking after Dean. She would mumble to herself things like, "it isn't right, two men living like this," and "he should be in proper care."

The men ignored her grumbles and reassured her that everything was quite fine.

That was one great, big, fat lie. They had very little money and neither of them could be bothered looking for jobs., which wasn't exactly helping their situation.

"I can't do much! I'm nothing but a cripple!" Dean would grumble, eyebrows knitting together. "Weren't you a police officer?" Dean muttered as he rammed his chair into a wall.

Cas reached out from where he sat on the sofa and pulled the chair back, sighing heavily. "I was new at it…"

Dean threw his hands in the air. "Well, why don't you go back!?"

"Not here… not in England.."

"Well, we can't go home without any money," he said, deflating a little bit at the mentioning of home.

Castiel frowned and pushed Dean's chair away again. "I don't want to," he huffed and that was the end of that.

Cas told himself that it was an accident. He promised himself that it was only because they were over-tired as neither of them had been sleeping well. It meant nothing. It couldn't possibly have meant anything. Dean had fallen when he'd tried to walk and Cas' lips had just happened to be right there. Yes, that's what had happened. It was all an accident. "I'm sorry…" Castiel muttered again, putting his head in his hands.

Dean hummed in acknowledgement. He was sitting in his chair, staring out of the small window.

Cas got to his feet and limped into the kitchen. He didn't want to be near Dean because as much as he hated to admit it, he found himself wanting to kiss the man again. He wouldn't, of course… not after seeing the horrified expression on Dean's face when he'd pulled away. From his place in the kitchen, leaning against one of the mustard coloured walls, Cas could hear Dean speaking softly.

"Don't be sorry," Dean was saying. "I just need more practise walking…"

Cas took a deep breath and slid down the wall so that he was sitting on the floor. "Maybe you can use my walking stick next time," he called back.

"But then how will you walk?"

"I'm trying not to use the thing anyway…" Cas shut his eyes as his heart beat slowed and the red of his cheeks faded.

After a moment of silence Dean's voice came floating through again. "We're going to need to get jobs…"

They fell silent again and Castiel hoped to God that he hadn't messed things up. Somewhere along the lines, Dean had become his best friend and if he lost him, he didn't know what he would do. Dean was the only thing that was tying him to the Earth, keeping him from floating away.

Cas didn't know that Dean was sitting in his chair, staring out the window and thinking pretty much the same thing, though unlike Cas, he wasn't worrying about what the other man thought. Dean was worrying about what he had thought of that stupid kiss. Dean felt like his world was crashing down around him. The fact that the kiss had been nice, that he'denjoyedit, horrified him.