Psychopathic Fucker!!!

Chapter 59
Psychopathic Fucker!!!

The atmosphere was somewhere between solemn and peaceful, Bernie had an old Celine Dion song playing while Kelvin cooked with the assistance of the servants. They had invited Shola and his daughter to the house. It wasn’t a planned activity but it felt like an after party for Betsy, it was what she would have wanted, Shola thought as he watched everyone.

Mariam and Margaret seemed to be talking about something serious, Koruna was seated close to the window with a glass of wine. Shola recognized the, it was the unfinished bottle she and Betsy shared before she passed. He had thought about what he could do without Betsy, for more than half of his life he had served her and he was a bit lost without her. He sighed deeply as he swallowed the drink in his hand, his daughter shook her head and grabbed the rest of the bottle from him.

Lola and Telih were dancing slowly to the rhythm of the music, Flora and Bernie exchanged knowing looks, if one were to describe the mood of the gathering, the word would be comfortable. Shola knew that come morning everything could change when he read Betsy’s will but for the better or worse, he did not know. That was the thing about life, only the results can tell if Betsy’s decision was right or not.

“Stop looking like it’s the end of the world.” Adaora his daughter admonished. She had made it a point to avoid the Ballans, she was intimidated by them but she also didn’t want to be disrespected and so she thought that the scarcer she was, the better the relationship. They had always treated her father with respect but that can’t be said for other people. She had witnessed Annie break someone down with her mouth alone, she had seen what Bernie could do when people offended him, and Margaret was like Betsy cold. Kelvin was too mysterious and while he was the Ballan that intrigued her the most, he was also the one that scared her. Koruna was the person she had not known but her presence there made them more approachable. Like tonight, they almost look human.

She didn’t think that it could get any odder but when she saw people from the Flames mixing with the others, it was almost like a bizzare dream. She knew how they carried themselves, what could have changed them so much in four months? People only drastically change when they are about to die, is this a bad omen? She wondered. When she was younger, she couldn’t understand why her father was so loyal to Betsy. He spent almost all his time with her, she could not see the dignity in his labour. Her father could do anything he wanted, why her? She shook her head when she saw the implication of what she just thought, she giggled at that… “do her” She murmured and giggled again.

“I think you have had enough to drink.” Kelvin took the cup from her and led her to a chair.

“No…. I want more.” Adaora moaned.

Kelvin froze and looked at the girl he was holding, she looked so fragile and cute. He had never had the chance to look at her for long, she didn’t look like Shola and so he guessed she must look like her mother. When she pouted her lips, he had the need to tease her, so he picked a spoon and put the other end of it in her mouth. He chuckled at the picture, he felt someone looking at him. He turned his head in that direction to see Koruna and Flank smirking at him.

Kelvin blushed and left Adaora alone who pretended to be drunk, she was disappointed at the loss of contact but she felt good at the fact that Kelvin teased her. She removed the spoon and snuggled into the couch. Soon after, the food was served and they all ate without much discussion or quarreling. All in all, the night soothed everyone one way or another, Betsy must be satisfied Shola thought.

After the lawyer read the will to the children, there was a general pause. The person who seemed to be more shocked was Annie, “What did she mean by that?” She asked aloud.