Chapter Five

Adelia

With my sisters holding onto me, I walked to the nursery. It took a physical push from Sophia for me to actually enter. I found Nanny paying blocks with Clara on the floor. When we entered, she stood and curtsied to me.

"Her Grace would like to spend some time with Lady Clara." Victoria told her.

The nanny curtsied again and left the room.

"Do you want me to bring her to you?" Sophia asked me.

I shook my head. "No, that is alright. I will go to her."

Slowly, I walked over to my young daughter and, after a moment's hesitation, picked her up. Having her in my arms again felt like I had found the thing I had been missing all along. My sisters led me to a bed as I began to cry loudly. I sat and held Clara tight. My only remaining child. How could I have left her for so long? "How could I have done this? To leave her in her grief is unacceptable."

Victoria sat beside me and rubbed my back as I leaned into her shoulder. "It is alright. You are here now."

I looked at my smiling daughter. "There is so much I wish to tell her about Henry. If only she would understand it."

"One day, she will." Sophia smiled.

"Mama?" Clara said as she wiped my tears. "Why do you cry?"

"I cry because I am sad."

"Why are you sad?" She asked me.

"I am sad because..." I cleared my throat. "I miss Henry a great deal."

She nodded as though she understood. "I cry sometimes too when I miss him. Where is he Mama?"

"He is...with God now; Henry is in heaven."

She smiled. "Papa told me that is a good place to be."

"It is my sweet child." I kissed her head and held her tighter. "It is."

------

Victoria

It had been a month since we had all come to Cleavely Hall to help Theodore and Adelia with their grief. We now all sat in the dining hall at dinner.

William nudged my arm. "I believe it is time." I nodded my head in agreement as he stood up and tapped on his glass for everyone's attention. He cleared his throat. "I would like your attention if you please." Everyone set down their utensils and turned to him. "We have been keeping some news to ourselves in light of recent events." He looked to Adelia and her husband. "Again, my deepest condolences. I know you are nowhere near finished grieving, but we have an amazing turn of events to celebrate. My wife is pregnant with our first child!"

There was silence for a moment before Adelia squealed and ran over to me. Sophia turned to me when Adelia came over. "Is it true, Victoria?" Adelia asked.

"Yes." I cried silently. "I am finally with child."

Adelia hugged me and Sophia reached for my hand. "This is truly wonderful." She said.

When Adelia pulled away, I looked into her eyes for any hint of sadness. "I am sorry that it has happened at a time like this. Are you well?"

She smiled and wrapped her arms around me again. "Never better. I am very excited for the birth of your child."

-------

The contractions had started early in the evening. Now, I laid on my bed in my nightdress with William holding my hand and a doctor at my feet.

"My Lady, you must push now as hard as you can." He instructed.

I pushed with all my might and soon I heard the tell – tale signs of life, a baby's cry. William looked over my knees at our newborn babe. "He looks healthy, My Love."

"He? We have a son?" I asked, exhausted. William nodded his head, yes. The moment the babe was placed in my arms my exhaustion disappeared.

"What shall we name him?"

I had already picked out a name months before. "I want to name him in memory of his cousin who would have loved him so."

"Henry." William stated. "Yes, a wonderful name from a wonderful child."

------

Sophia

A few months after Victoria's son was born, my sisters and I, along with our children, sat having tea with Papa in the backyard of Coningsby House. The children were chasing each other around while Victoria held Henry in her arms. Recently it had surprised me how much had happened since Mama had passed. We three were in happy marriages, all with children of our own, and Papa was content in his life of singlehood. I firmly believe there is plenty of happiness in our future.