Chapter Three

Adelia

We waited outside the nursery as the doctor examined Henry. Nanny had taken Clara to another room and was staying with her for the night. We were deathly afraid she would catch Henry's illness and that was something I could not handle.

It took what felt like a century for the doctor to come out of the nursery. When he did, he bowed to us and sighed. "He has scarlet fever, Your Graces."

"Scarlet fever?" I repeated. "Is that not deadly?"

"It can be for some." He explained. "Though not all people die from it. I cannot say what will come to pass but if it does not turn into a fatality then it should leave in a few days' time. Though He may have complications following the illness. He may develop blindness that may be long term or short term."

"So really, you know nothing more to help us?" Teddy asked angry.

"Not really, Your Grace. There is still much we do not know about the illness."

"Wonderful." He threw up his hands in defeat.

"You must quarantine Master Henry." The doctor added. "It can spread easily."

"But Clara has been with him all this time." I said. "Will she get sick as well?"

"There is no way to know." He bowed to us and was led out by a footman.

I felt tears prick silently at the corners of my eyes but before I knew it, I was wailing. Teddy took me in his arms and let me cry my heart out.

------

Victoria

Due to the fact I had been nauseated for days, I retreated back to my doctor who had confirmed I was physically able to bear children. After a short examination, he smiled at me.

"I have splendid news for you, My Lady. You are with child."

I was shellshocked. "I...I am?"

"Yes." He chuckled. "Your nausea is a symptom of that. You should find you will not have another cycle for at least eight and a half months."

I began to cry silently. "I had given up hope."

------

When I arrived home, I raced into the study and found William at work. He jumped up from his seat in fear.

"What has happened?"

I was so happy I could not stop smiling. "I am with child, William. We are to have a baby!"

He pulled me into his arms, and I could hear him weeping. "I knew you would be a mother one day."

------

Adelia

The ball came without fuss. Everyone showed up who had been invited but I was distracted while I mingled with them. I barely heard anything that was said and only responded with short answers. Teddy seemed to be feeling the same.

When I left to grab a glass of punch Victoria came over. "Are you well, Adelia?"

I sighed. "No, I am not." I leaned closer to whisper to her. "Henry is very ill. We do not know if he will make it."

She gasped. "What is wrong?"

"He has scarlet fever." I told her as tears pricked at my eyes. I let out a breath to calm myself. "The doctor gave us almost no information."

She nodded her head. "I understand now why you have been distracted all evening."

Before more could be said Teddy called to me from across the room. "Adelia!" I turned to see him with the nanny.

I raced across the room. "What is it? What has happened?"

"It is Master Teddy; his breathing is shallow." She explained.

The three of us ran from the room with Victoria and Sophia (who had come from where I did not know) hot on our heels. It took what felt like forever to get to the room he was quarantined in. When we arrived, I took Henry in my arms but what I felt then scarred me forever. I felt my baby take his last breath.

"No!" I cried out in emotional pain. "No, Lord why?!"

Teddy fell to his knees and cried freely. My sisters curtsied to us and left the room as I bawled.

------

"Adelia? My Love?" It was the next morning and Teddy wandered in along with two men. My sisters and Papa had sent everyone home from the ball the night before and now waited for us to come down to the drawing room. I had held my son all night and refused to let go. "The men from the funeral home are here to...take him...away." He got out through chocked sobs.

"No." I whispered. "They cannot take my son." A silent tear fell down my cheek. "He cannot leave me."

Teddy took one of my hands. "My Love, he is gone. Henry is not with us anymore."

I closed my eyes as more tears fell. "I know." I opened them. "But I cannot let him go. He is my baby boy."

"I understand." Teddy kissed my hand. "But it is time."

He stood and lifted Henry from my arms as I started to cry harder. Teddy passed him off to the men and came back to hold me. "My son! My baby boy!"

Together we cried for hours until we had no more tears left. Afterwards we retreated to our room where our mourning clothes had been delivered and we changed into them. We went to the drawing room where Papa, my sisters, and their husbands all waited. It seemed they had changed too. Teddy led me to a couch where I sat silently. Papa came to sit by me and put an arm around me.

"How are you holding up, My Daughter?"

I did not answer him, only turned my head to look out at the bright sun. How could it shine today of all days? Does it not know the hell that has begun? Teddy answered instead. "Not well, Albert. We just passed the body off to the funeral home."

"When will the funeral be?" Sophia asked.

"Three days' time." He answered. "We will take him to my family cemetery in the country at Cleavely Hall. There he will be buried with his grandparents and uncle."

"I understand." Papa responded.

Soon their voices drowned out as I stared around the room, not focusing on anything in particular, just staying locked in my grief.