Chapter Two

Victoria

William followed the nurse and me to the room at the doctor's office. I had been to nearly every doctor in London, but William insisted we see one more. We waited in silence until the doctor came in. We had brought information from all my other doctors, and he read it over before examining me.

When he was finally finished, he smiled at us. "I see nothing physically wrong that is keeping you from bearing a child, My Lady." He placed a hand on my shoulder reassuringly. "It takes time, and the problem may very well have laid with your first husband. Do not worry. I am sure, in time, you will bear a child. Just wait a little longer."

------

Sophia

We arrived in London at Nicholas's parents' home which was next door to Papa. His mother came into the hall as we walked in. First, she hugged the children before coming over to us.

"How wonderful to see you both." She kissed our cheeks before we curtsied and bowed to her. She took Joseph from my arms. "I have missed you all."

"Thank you for having us, My Lady." I said.

"Please, Victoria. I have asked you to call me Winifred or Mama. You need not be so formal. I have, after all, known you since childhood."

"Very well, Winifred." She passed Joseph off to the nanny who took the children upstairs to the nursery before Nicholas's mother led us to the morning room.

"Will you take tea with me?"

"Of course, Mama." Nicholas pulled out a chair for each of us before sitting down himself. "How have you been?"

"Very well. Though, I am happier having you and the children here." She smiled. "You will have dinner with us tonight will you not? Or are you planning on going to your father's for dinner?"

"We can dine here." I answered. "It is, after all, our first night in London. I will, however, visit Papa with the children this afternoon."

"Speaking of fathers, where is Papa?" Nicholas asked.

She waved away his question. "Off at the track again. It is race day."

"I see. Is he not always at race day?"

Winifred sighed. "He is. It is his second home." She joked.

We chuckled as she poured the tea.

------

Adelia

While having our luncheon, the nanny came rushing into the dining room.

She curtsied to us. "Your Graces!"

"What on earth is the matter?" Teddy asked.

"It is young Master Henry." She said. "He is sick."

I stood up quickly and made for the nursery with Teddy on my heels. "How sick?"

"I do not know, Your Grace." The nanny said as she followed me. "He has a rash."

When we arrived at the nursery, I pulled Henry into my arms and felt for a fever. He had a slight one. Teddy took him from my arms and located the rash on his arm. It was more spots than anything.

"It is likely a case of the pox. No need to worry." He told me. "It will go away in a few days."

I breathed a sigh of relief. "Then there is no need to worry."

------

After our slight scare and finishing our meal, I joined Mrs. Jones in the drawing room to sort out the ball.

"Have the caterers been hired?" I asked.

"Yes, although Mrs. Hendricks is not impressed that you hired extra cooks." She explained.

"I see. Well, she will have to be alright with it by the night of the ball because I am not doing without them. Now, have the invitations gone out?"

"Yes, this morn." She answered. "The men delivered them all."

"Good. Has the band confirmed?"

"Yes, Your Grace. They have agreed to the wage for five hours of service." She told me.

"Very well. I believe that is all. You may go." After she left, I leaned back in my chair and rubbed my belly. "That is going to be a long night."

------

Sophia

I went to the library to return a book when I found Nicholas at his father's desk.

"What are you doing?"

He sighed and ran a hand down his face. "Papa has been neglecting his work. I am trying to sort it all out."

I rubbed his back. "You will get it all straightened out. I am sure of it." I took a deep breath before I broached the subject. "While we are alone, I wanted to speak to you about something."

"Anything. Go ahead."

After coming around to the front of the desk, I cleared my throat. "I wish to discuss your love for me. The fact you are in love with me, and I am not in love with you weighs heavily on me."

Nicholas chuckled. "Is that so?"

"Why do you find that funny?" I asked indignant.

"I find it funny due to the fact that I have searched my soul and came to a different conclusion."

"I am not following." I said confused.

He got up and leaned on the front of the desk after I took a step back. "I am not in love with you."

"But...I..."

"I may have been in love with you once but...it has changed. I know you cannot love me and so I have developed different feelings for you."

"Which is?" I asked.

"That I have a deep affection for you as a close friend." He explained. "You may very well be my best friend."

Like Mama and Papa. "I am very much alright with that." I told him. "As long as you are being truthful and not putting me on."

He put his hand to his chest. "I swear that I am being truthful."

I hugged him tight. "This is all I have ever wanted, someone to care for me as a person not as a love interest. Thank you for that."

"You are very welcome, Wife."

------

Adelia

We were awoken in the night by Nanny in her nightclothes.

"You must come, Your Grace." She urged me from bed. "Master Henry will not stop fussing."

Both Teddy and I raced to the nursery where we found Henry on his bed in tears. "It hurts, Mama!"

I rushed over to him and pulled him into my arms. I could tell without touching him that his fever had risen. "Please, Teddy, call the doctor. He has a high fever now."

"I will send a messenger straight away."