.:Chapter 12 - Reunion:.

“...Is it…is it really you?” Doc asked, only staring at the tall boy with misty eyes, the latter only giving a small nod in response. Dean took a deep breath and smiled, his eyes were as bright and full as the day he left. 

The older man was in pure shock. He couldn’t believe what he was seeing. The same little boy from all those years ago…standing right in front of him. He was so much taller than he expected. Was this the same little boy who dreamed to be in the ring? The one who rode on his back and screamed in joy as he galloped around the halls? The one who would snuggle up to him when his dad was boxing and ask to be hoisted up so he could see?... The one who cried when his dad dangled in the ropes of the ring?... The one who he had felt he let down all those years ago…

It felt like so long ago, this was the boy that had run away 10 years ago, struck with grief, disappointment, and possible resentment. The boy he never thought he’d see again…and yet here he was, standing proudly, with a small smile, though that smile soon twisted into a small frown as the man simply stared at him with no further words being spoken. Mac could only watch as the two just…gazed at each other. He didn’t know what was going on in their heads. The only thing he did know was that they didn’t know what to say. 

Dean bit his lip and looked nervously back and forth between Doc and Mac, “M…Maybe this wasn’t a good idea…” he murmured. Mac put his hand on his friend's shoulder, trying to reassure him. Dean simply sighed as he brought his free hand to his t-shirt collar and pulled out his pendant, looking at it with sad eyes. A sharp gasp was heard as Doc saw the pendant between Dean’s fingers, causing the boy's eyes to dart straight back to him. 

“That…that pendant…” he whispered. Dean took a glance at it again and then back at Doc with a smile, “...I’ve had this ‘round my neck since he passed…” he said, a small chuckle escaping him, “...it’s my favourite memory of him…”

“...a-and you kept it…” Doc pointed out. Dean nodded again, “Yup…sure did,” he said. The older man simply furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, “But…why?” he asked, “...after everything…”

“Because…” Dean began, he paused as he looked at Mac. There were plenty of reasons he kept the pendant. Memories of the past and Promises he made to his father. He remembered the exact words his father said when he gave it to him.

“Wear it with pride son…may it always bring you home… as it did for me!”

Home.

That’s what it was. That’s what he was missing.

That’s why he kept the pendant. 

Dean gave a shaky sigh and a wobbly smile as he held the pendant close to his heart, “...I wanted to have a way to be close to home…” he said, his voice on the verge of breaking, “...even when he was gone-”

“-He wanted a way for you to find home again…” Doc said. Dean paused as he looked at the older man, only for his lips to turn back into a smile. Doc smiled back, “We all miss him, son…” he said, “...and…I don’t know if I can be strong enough for you…I’ve barely been strong enough for my boy…” Mac winced as he rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment. “But I promise…I can try and be there for you now…even if I wasn’t there for you before…we just want you back…safe and sound”

Dean’s eyes widened at those words, “We just want you back…”

They missed him…they did miss him. All this time…hiding…fearing…dreading being seen…was it all in his head this entire time? He always had these thoughts in the back of his head…but…that’s all they were…thoughts…they weren’t true…all this time he thought they were…but they weren’t. In front of him stood the man he once called his uncle. The man he knew as his second family before anyone else. The one who had been there for his birth. The one who had been there for all of his birthdays. The one who had taken him in as his own on multiple occasions.