Chapter Twenty-Three

Through the metaphysical barriers separating the realms, a band of demonic brothers fled the heat of Trigon's hell. Earth was their intended destination, in pursuit of ancient contract binding the soul of an Al Ghul- in search of their sister, believed to have stolen it. But as Wrath, the demon Jared, set foot on solid ground, the brothers were met not with the unmistakeable stench of dirt and decay common with humankind, but a long stretch of motorway.

The moons and suns above were foreign to all.

"What is the meaning of this?" Envy hissed.

"Ah yes, I had heard...wasn't sure though..." Greed voiced aloud, peering about this new realm. "

His brother, Envy, snapped, "What? What do you know about this?"

James savoured Jesse's anticipation for a moment, then replied, "Some protective measure apparently. A buffer zone to limit travel between realms- likely the work of some Council or other. We'll get to earth."

They stood on the curb of a road that stretched as far as even a demonic eye might see. On either side of the road, existence seemed to fade to a muddled cloudiness, merging with the sky above. They were stranded, one would think.

Arms folded, Lust sighed, "How exactly brother? There is nothing here."

Jared snarled, "What, cowed by a long road Jacob? Son of Trigon indeed! Perhaps you should have remained with the other two!" And turned his back on his brother of sin, beginning to walk along the road.

Holding his hands up Lust called out, "You dont even know that's the correct direction!" And mumbled, "I swear, if I don't get some action out of this pursuit..."

With no alternative in sight, Envy, Lust, and agreed trudged after their brother, down the inter-dimensional motorway under the heat of several suns.

It felt as though an age had passed, with little distortion in the appearance of the road, as if they hadn't been moving at all. That is, until the sterile air was broken by a great crackling, roaring cough of an engine. The brothers started. James craned his neck in search of the source.

At once it was at their feet, wicked black, glossy- expensive. Cars were a notoriously human creation, but this vehicle reeked of demonic energy. A tinted window rolled down and the exterior air was flooded with an aura stronger even than that of their father. Dipping his head and resting his glasses lower on his nose, Lucifer grinned at the band of unwitting demons.

"Well, well, what do we have here?"
***

A meeting had been assembled once more in the depths of the House of Mystery- within the conundrum of walls lined with mahogany that felt more ancient than trees themselves, yet shone with uncompromising gloss. Some members of this hodgepodge assembly sat upon armchairs or nursed mugs; others, rigid-backed through virtue of habituation. There would commence a process of exchange and subsequent assignment that Damian, being a member of the infamous Bat-clan, on-and-off Titan, and former child-assassin, knew too well.

Constantine and Zatanna began, each seemingly wearied by the news they were about to deliver.

"Having scoured the memories of all available victims," Zatanna began, troubled eyes downcast. "We haven't been given much to work with. Not much at all."

"What," Damian said, "not even a face?"

Constantine shook his head, retrieving a cigarette from his inside pocket and lighting it with magic intention. Shiva grimaced at the offensive object but made no comment- greater matters weighed on her mind.

"I'll show you-" the scouser said, then took a long drag of the cigarette and breathed its dark cloud in to the centre of their congregation.

From the ashy mist summoned more an impression than an image. The rough conglomeration of smoky shapes had an immediate effect on those who observed it. Repulsion. Dread.