Chapter Fourteen

Head in hands, Batman stared at the grey of the desk and sighed. It didn't go unnoticed.

"I get it Bruce," came the painfully comforting voice behind him.

How long ago was that the chirpy laughter of an orphaned acrobat?

The man lifted his head, cowl pulled back, and leant back in the chair. He stared at the monitors of the Batcomputer with indifference.

Nightwing walked in to his periphery- a tall man in his own blue uniform, sharing words of parenting wisdom. Where had all the years gone?

"Look, Damian's a man now. As much as we want to protect him, he is capable of protecting himself."

Bruce cracked his knuckles, frowning, "He was raised by the League of Assassins. He's always been able to protect himself."

Dick threw his hands up, "So he ran away! Like he hasn't a million times." He dipped his head, "And for once it wasn't out of spite too."

"He ran to Shiva-"

-"to find answers!"

Batman stood and faced Nightwing, "Then accompanied a demon to an intersection between worlds and met The Devil."

Exhaling heavily, Dick pulled his hands through his hair and left them clasped tightly at his neck. He regarded Batman with a melancholy sympathy.

"You think I'm not worried about him too? That no one else loves him besides you?" As he spoke, to his mind came a flurry of images- of a Batman but him behind the cowl, and Damian, Robin, at his side.

"That's not-" Bruce interjected.

"You know his heritage. Of course he was going to get mixed up in some demonic shit at some point! Just how it's taken this damn long for it to happen is a miracle."

The firm 'ehem' of a distinguished English butler turned both of their heads. But Alfred bore no coffee, no cake, not even a steaming saucer of sarcasm. The man stood between the two of them and placed an aged hand on Bruce's shoulder.

"Master Dick is right, and we know that very well, "He said. " much as I want to collar the boy for the emotional duress he's caused." Alfred stared pointedly at Bruce, "How old were you, Master Bruce, when you traipsed from the Manor and across the world for your training?" He looked to his other side, "And Master Dick, when you left the role of Robin, and this house?"

Their silence spoke volumes.

Dick broke from the old man's stern gaze and said, "He'll be getting an earful from me about family, don't get me wrong. But I'm not going to baby him."

With that, he nodded to Alfred (a secret confirmation that the butler was going to have a word with Bruce) and left for patrol.

Alfred sighed, "Master Bruce-"

"He's twenty years old Alfred... I know he's slipping away." The man let shatter his hard exterior in the absence of Nightwing.

A seat rested unoccupied besides Bruce. Alfred sat down.

"All birds leave the nest at some point, son."