Chapter Fifteen

"Right," Raven tapped the froth-fringed spoon on her saucer, "tell me about the Titans." She sipped on the coffee, staring at the man over it.

Damian huffed and ran a hand through his hair. He shrugged, "What would you like to know?"

She set the large glass down on the saucer and said, "What is there to tell? Oh come on, I want to know the juicy gossip-"

"Juicy gossip?" Damian repeated.

Throwing her hands up, Raven groaned, "Come on, I haven't been in the team for years! Who's still there? Interesting cases? Renovations to the Tower! I dont know!"

A laugh dissolving from his face, Damian rested his elbows on the arms of his chair, "I haven't been back in a while. Miss Kori is still there, of course. Jaime- Bluebeetle- too. I think he was there in your time..."

She nodded, drifting in to reminiscence.

"Beastboy left a few months ago. Staying in Star City for education, I think. Cyborg had a sojourn at the Tower, I believe...he left a while back. Wondergirl is still there..." he cleared his threat and looked up. "But the new members make a strong team. Room for improvement of course, but it's an effective unit." He frowned. "A strong team..."

Contemplative, Raven circled a finger absently around the rim of her glass. She looked up at him and said nothing.

"What are you thinking about?" Damian asked.

Raven lifted her glass but stopped it before her lips. She blew lightly over the froth and it made a well for the creamy coffee underneath. Damian watched her, knitting his fingers between his knees.

"I miss it." She sighed. "It's been years since I've seen Kori. She was like a mother to me-" more vulnerable than he'd seen her before, the empath continued, "it was a family. After coming to Earth, alone, barely speaking any English, not in control of my powers...the Titans became my home. And now...well...That was all I had, and now none of it's in my life anymore! Not the overbearing mother-hen, the shitty villain-nemeses-"

"The stupid building?" Damian joked. "It's been said before that branding can go too far, but a Titans Tower in the shape of a 'T'. TT. That's a step too far."
He held his hands up.

Raven laughed, "Oh Azar yes...who in Beelzebub's name was the architect behind that?"

"A blind one probably." He took a sip of  coffee. "Or Koriand'r."

"Don't be mean Damian." Raven mock chastised. "Kori's taste..."

"-Should be illegal under international law. TT. I can't count the number of 'meals' that sent me to the sick bed."

Raven snickered alongside him. She knew exactly what he meant. Her stomach was traumatised by Kori's "recipes". Wary of the few other people in the café, Raven stifled her mirth with a sip of coffee. Shifting in his chair, Damian sobered a little, a subconscious smile resting on his face.

"But you know," Raven pointed out, "we could have met back then. In the Teen Titans."

Damian eyes became round as coins and he shook his head animatedly.

"Oh gods no...Never!" He buried his head in his hands. "I was a nightmare."

"I'm sure you weren't that bad... regardless of what Dick used to tell us..."