XI

CHAPTER XI
[ no backing out ]

the game plan was set.
matt had talked things over with his brothers, and he was surprised to find that they were very receptive to how he felt. usually he would hit a wall, because they didn't understand the depth of things at times; but nick and chris listened to every word, and didn't make a single joke. then, they made a plan of action together.

the boy did his very best to type steadily. there was no reason for shaky hands- it was only a text.

matt :)
hey

matt :)
are you working today?

dollar store girl
yeah

matt :)
is it okay if i stop by

matt :)
i just have something to say.
then i'll go if you want me to

dollar store girl
my shift is 4-9

matt :)
okay. i'll see you later

     when matt pulled into the parking lot, he noticed how empty it was, and a sliver of the stress reduced. at least no one would be there to hear her reject him, if she does.
     chris and nick sat in the car and gave the boy firm squeezes on his shoulders, offering encouraging smiles and little words of support. then, they practically shoved him out of the car, because matt was slow to unbuckle, and even slower to open the door. they shut the door and locked it from the inside, causing their brother to grumble in frustration. chris dangled the keys from his finger behind the rolled-up window, mouthing, no backing out, matt!

"you better not fucking drive away without me, assholes!" matt banged on the window.

"fucking go! just do it!" they yelled at him, cackling like hyenas from the safety of the car.

     the boy took a deep breath and waited until he felt it reach the bottom of his lungs. then, he pivoted and began to walk towards the dollar store doors.

go in and be honest, nick told him before they got in the car earlier. she isn't somebody you can beat around the bush with. tell her what you want.

     when he made it inside, minnie was standing in the cosmetic aisle, re-organizing the buckets of 50 cent nail polish. she was fishing around for spare purples when she raised her head to see him standing there. matt was confused as to why instead of being anxious out of his mind from the eye contact, he felt like he could finally breathe easy. he didn't question it, though- anything that made this easier was a godsend.

     "hi."

     "hey," minnie stood up straight, placing down the handful of polishes on the shelf and rubbing her palms on her black jeans.

     matt walked over, shoving his hands in his pockets to try and hide the clamminess of them. as he got closer he saw the way her face softened; she could never look hard, even if she tried.

     "i want to make up."
     minnie's eyes inflated with surprise. she didn't expect him to just come out with it like that.
     "i want things to be okay again, so first, i want to ask you something. can i ask you something?" he proposed, leaning against the shelf to take some pressure off his shoulders.