Chapter 1 - I Want My Crown

Adebiyi's POV;

I get worried when I see Ajinke rushing back into the hall. She looks worried and appalled. I stare at her troubled face, and she points with her eyes at something in front of her.

I follow her gaze, and my eyes land on a well-built man.
My heart skips a beat, and I am forced to my feet on seeing him. He looks a lot like me and is currently glaring at me.

"Stop the music! Everyone. Stop the celebration! " He yells with a thundering, loud voice, and instantly the hall falls silent.

I turn to my father in alarm, and my father and mother also rise to their feet.

"I won't have my crown be given to someone else. I've stayed in the shadows long enough! "He yells further, and I almost die on the spot.

Who is this man? And why is he laying claims to the crown?

"Who are you? And how dare you cause such a nuisance at the royal palace? "My mother questions this strange man, and although my back is turned to my mother, I can hear the irritation in her voice, as clear as day.

"I am king Adelaja's first son, and I am here to take my place!  "He announces and gasps take up the crowd.

"What? "I mutter in shock before turning to my father and finding that his eyes are wide in disbelief.

"That's not possible. That's not true. I only have one son. "My father replies, and I turn back to the strange man.

"That's not true, my king! I am your first son and the rightful heir to the throne! "The stranger replies, and I stagger.

It isn't hard to believe what he just said. We both share a strong resemblance with my father.

"Nonsense! I have only one child and one wife. I have no concubines or extra children! "My father replies, and the man falls silent.

"Remember Omolara?? "The man then questions, and for the next few seconds, my father says nothing. I turn to him in shock and find the look of awe on his face.

"She is my mother. "The strange man adds, and I see my father's mouth fall open.

"You may all return to your houses. The coronation ceremony has been concluded and this is a matter for the royal family.

You can all continue your celebrations at home "Yemoja then announces as she climbs up on the podium, and the strange man turns to her.

"The people will stay! They should stay and witness their rightful king, take his place! "He yells, and Yemoja yells back in a voice that shakes the room.

"The people of Akomojo do not take orders from you! And I think it best that you understand that Adebiyi has already been crowned king and only his say will count. "Yemoja replies, and the man falls silent.

She then turns to me, and I gulp.

"Give your first order as the king. "She says to me, and I rise on my feet.

"Distinguished people of our blessed village, I beseech you all to return to your humble abodes and leave this matter to the royal family to handle. Required information and results will be made known to you all in due time. "I then say to the crowd. Trying my very best to ignore the piercing looks I'm getting from the man who claims to be my father's son and to swallow the fear and emotions threatening to show in my voice.

The crowd gets taken by murmurs, and slowly but surely, they all leave. Leaving my family alone with Yemoja, this stranger, and the guards

"My king, why have you suddenly fallen silent!? Who is Omolara, and what does she have to do with anything? This man here just ruined our son's coronation ceremony. Shouldn't he be punished for that? "My mother questions my father, but my father remains silent as he looks away.

"Why wouldn't he fall silent? The seed he planted thirty years ago has fully germinated now, and the fruit of it seems too big for him to swallow. "The man replies, and I clench my fists in annoyance as I do not like the manner in which this man is talking to my father.

"Omolara, my dear now late mother, used to be one of the palace maids. The king took her and promised to marry her. But then he went and got married to you, instead.

Abandoning my mother without knowing that she was with a child for him. Me! "The man replies, and I almost stagger, but Ajinke holds on to me. I didn't know when she got up here, but now she's holding on to me tightly. Trying her very best to support me.

I've trained for this role my entire life, and the day when I finally get it, when I finally become king, there is someone here to take the crown away from me??

************** Flash back**************
Kolade's POV;

"*Mami. Please be strong for me. You have to get better. "I beg as I run the warm cloth over my mother's sick face.

*Mami = My mother.

"My son. I can't... I can't keep up. I... We have no money to... To take me to... To the doctors. I... I am going to die. I can feel it. "My mother says, and my face goes numb.

"Mami, don't say that! You'll be fine, by the will of the goddess... "I reply with a tear sliding down my face.

I have no idea who my father is, and for years, I've questioned my mother about his identity, but she always told me that she was saving both our lives by hiding that information from me.

She is all I have, and I can't lose her.  She is a hairdresser, and I am a hunter. We've used these businesses to sustain ourselves for the past thirty years.

I'm old enough to have gotten married and have my own family, but I refused to get married. I've dedicated my entire life to caring for my mother. She struggled to care for me since I was little, and now that I'm older, I won't get married till I'm rich enough to give her every single thing she needs and deserves.

My heart freezes when my mother starts gasping for air, and the cold, itchy hands of fear grip me tightly.

"Mami?? Mami?? What's happening?? Talk to me. "I question and cry in panic as my mother's eyes begin to flutter, but she simply points at her box in a corner of the room.

"This... This is not your home, my boy. You... You are not a poor man. You... You are a prince. The... The rightful heir to Akomojo's throne. King... King Adelaja is... Is your father. You are... You are his first... His first child... "My mother manages to gasp out, and I freeze as I stare at her.

"What? "I question in confusion, and she keeps gasping. For years, we have lived in Idanra and I have never for once thought that I was an indigen of another village.

I was raised according to Idanra's beliefs and culture. I have even devoted my whole life to their gods. But now? What is my mother saying to me??

"I'm... I'm sorry, my boy. For... Forgive me... I... I kept such a big thing... From you... But I did it ... I did it to protect you. Please... Please... Forgive me... I... I can no longer fight this fight... Go... Go and... And take your place... Claim your crown... You... You have stayed in the dust long... Enough...  It's time for you... It's time for you to go... To go and shine... "She says, and my heart trembles in horror, inside my chest.

My mother has always been a playful, and jovial woman. But she'd never make such a cruel joke in this condition.

"Mami... "I call in fear as she looks like she's dying, and she continues.

"Go... Go and take your place my Adeyinka. May the goddess guide you..."She adds. Calling by a name she has never called me, and with that, she exhales and falls silent.

"Mami? "I call in a panic as she goes still, but she gives me no reply.

"Mami?? "I call again. Gently shaking her, but I get no response from her.

I quickly grab her wrist. Trying to feel her pulse with my thumb, but as much as I search, I find nothing.

"Mami?? "I call in panic. Scream at the top of my lungs as I get on the mat and hug her head to my chest. But she says nothing, nor moves. And then it dawns on me that I have just lost my mother. The only treasure I had in this entire world.

I had just lost it... What do I do now?
Where do I go?