ᴛʜɪʀᴛᴇᴇɴ

"where have you been?"

was the first thing yeonhee heard once the sound of the door shutting could be heard.

she froze, the feeling of fear paralyzing her. preparing for a scolding, maybe a slap and two and bring grounded, yeonhee slowly turned her head to look at the floor

- facing the mother who stood with her arms folded over her chest and a glare no one would give their daughter, but here she was.

"i asked you a question, bae yasmine yeonhee." her mother said sternly, a cold look in her eyes.

she never said yeonhee's english name in year really ever since they'd came back from new zealand years ago.

yasmine. it sounded unfamiliar.

that meant her mother was fuming in anger. and by the unreadable look in her eyes, yeonhee knew she was right.

clearing her throat, yeonhee clamped her hands together and prepared herself. "i-i didn't mean to come this late. i'm sorry." she bowed full 90° to her mother.

could she even call her that? she didn't feel like one.

the cold look she gave her made her feel small, the teenager shaking in fear under her sharp gaze.

"answer my question. your curfew is 5 p.m, now it's 8 fucking p.m!" the woman started by yelling. "do you understand what people would think if they saw that the daughter of the bae jiyul and bae yoona is out this late, especially with a boy?! it's embarrassing enough that you couldn't even get into yale because you're always slacking off!"

mrs bae stomped to the living room and came back with a paper in her hand, shoving it into the younger girl's face.

"94 fucking percent! what is this?! huh, you're slacking off again! for history you got a 94?! what do you think of us if we'd proudly go around saying our useless daughter is walking around with a 94 percent for history?!" she screamed in her face.

yeonhee flinched at her mother's shouting, both her hands on her ears and shaking uncontrollably in fear. she couldn't even hear anything anymore. her breathing wasn't steady and tears blurred her vision.

"yah, bae yeonhee! answer me!" yoona gripped her daughter's brown hair, forcing her to look at the paper. "what is this?!"

yeonhee didn't answer. she couldn't. she could barely even see.

her mother clicked her tongue, letting go of her, her body collapsing on the tiled floors and she let out a cry.

"get up. i said, get up!" she gripped her forearm, forcing her to stand up.

yeonhee obliged, standing before her mom with her hands on her sides- balled into fists to stop their shaking.

mrs bae's arms on her hips, her eyes showing nothing but disgust and resentment to the girl infront of her. she was disgusted of her own child.