ೃ⁀➷ iii. compliments and painting

there was nothing the lady katherine bassett of hastings loved more than compliments and painting

there was nothing the lady katherine bassett of hastings loved more than compliments and painting. perhaps the only thing she loved more than those, however, were compliments about her painting.

and right now, theodore laurence was fueling that love. "has anyone ever told you that you are possibly the most gifted artist that has lived?"

"no," katherine said, laughing. "no one has ever told me i was possibly gifted."

laurie rolls his eyes, knowing what she meant. "allow me to rephrase... has anyone ever told you that you are the most gifted artist that has lived?" katherine smiled as she gently slapped his thighs.

the two of them were in the lady's personal garden, lying in the grass. whilst katherine painted the scenery in front of them, laurie was just there for company. the last ball, the one where katherine met amy march, was months ago. since then, katherine and laurie found themself in each other's company more often than not.

now, they had left france and were now in germany. it took a lot of persuasion from katherine, but laurie finally relented to the idea of seeing his grandfather. the only condition was that she had to be there when he saw him.

katherine was just glad the bloodthirsty mama's of elegant society had not yet spread rumors about her friendship with the laurence boy.

"when did you learn to paint?" laurie asked.

"there was a time where... where my father prohibited my brother and i from leaving our household," katherine said. "whilst simon learned to read and write through the friend of our former mother, i leaned towards the arts."

"your father prohibited you from leaving your house?" she nodded.

"but let us not spoil the day with talks of that frivolous old man," the lady said, not wanting to think of her father. "have you packed, already?"

laurie stood up, smiling, as he held up his hand for katherine to take. "of course i have, my lady. have you?"

"not yet," katherine replied, sheepishly. "i have been for too occupied."

"yes, i see you writing and sending letters day after day. has the lady katherine perhaps found a suitor in the midst of our trip?"

"you know i have not," katherin said. too be honest, the main reason she was always with laurie was to prevent other men of society in their attempts to court the girl. last she heard from her brother, he was doing the same with someone else. "it is, as a matter of fact, amy march."

laurie paused, causing the two of them to stop walking. "amy? why have you been talking to amy?"

"i... i might be terrified to meet your grandfather."

"what?"

"yes, okay! i've heard stories about mr laurence and... well, yes, he terrifies me."

"he is nothing but a soft ball of fluff."

"i will not take advice from a boy who did not want to see him," katherine said, running a finger through her hair. before he could protest, she added, "it took me weeks to get you to see him. even now, i have to work to get you out of bed."

laurie rolled his eyes. "oh, how would i survive without you, ms katherine?"

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•

as she packed her things before hedging to the village mr laurence was staying at, katherine decided to write a letter to her brother, whom she had not written to for a month.

dear simon,

i am to travel around germany for the time being. a friend of mine asked me to accompany him as he visits his grandfather. i think you know him, mr laurence? i am not entirely sure what his first name is but his grandson is theodore laurence. i think they did business with father once.

anyways, i have not heard from you in a while. or heard about you, at least. there is yet to be any rumors about the young duke of hastings that i am wondering if you have died or not. it is unsual for there to not be rumors about you, brother.

laurie, my friend, is getting ansty and i must go.

hoping to hear from you soon,

katherine

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷D SPEAKS!

HELLOOOOOO im back !! i am so soooo sorry for not updating, i had absolutely no motivation to write this BUT i had the time today and i have plotted the entire book and this will be a rlly short one since there will only be 10 chapters :>

this chapter is really short but i promise you that the rest would be at least a thousand each hehe