ೃ⁀➷ ii. who i do it with

when you are the lady katherine basset of hastings, everyone wants you in their social activity

when you are the lady katherine basset of hastings, everyone wants you in their social activity. the amount of times she's been invited to tea parties, balls and even just a walk in the park by people she did not know or have never met in her life, were too many to count.

her trip around the world was meant to be a secret, actually, to avoid this type of occurrence. yet, for some way, the information of her departure from hastings and destination toward belgium had spread like wildfire.

dozens of invitations were sent out to her; how these people knew where she was at that exact moment will remain a mystery. upon her arrival to paris, she had decided to reply to one invitation.

what katherine did not realize, however, was that replying to one letter and attending one ball meant having to attend everything. and at first, she was enslaved to the idea of having to go through such an ordeal.

but that all changed when she met theodore laurence last night. katherine had heard whispers about the man that went through women faster than she could do europe when she first arrived. she had high expectations of the man that the woman she has met spoke so highly of.

she was not disappointed when she came across him. not at all.

"so, who was he?" john asked as he watched katherine's maid brush and braid her hair. men were typically not allowed in a woman's quarters like this, but nothing was typical in a house where katherine basset is the head. "the man you were speaking with."

a smile crept on the woman's face at the mention of theodore laurence, the man she spoke with the night prior. "no one of concern."

neither her footman nor her maid believed her. and the latter didn't even know who they were talking about.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•

as the lady katherine basset walked inside the double doors, an announcer made it known to everyone she was there. "lady katherine basset of hasting, daughter of the former duke of hasting and sister of the duke of hasting."

of course the men in my life are who i am to society. katherine grumbled but bowed as she descended down the stairs. she could see multiple people rush to her, wanting a conversation.

but she was on a mission. a mission to find a certain boy.

"lady katherine basset, my condolences of your father's—"

"—pardon me," she quickly said as she pushed through the many people and tried to find him. a small part of katherine wondered if he was even there.

another part of her thought, if there was alcohol, there was theodore laurence. yet, katherine had to admit that she didn't know the young man enough to make such an assumption. perhaps this was a mistake in itself—

"lady katherine basset," a voice, that came from behind, that was easily identifiable as the young man she spoke with the other night. she could never forget his voice. "what an honor it is to make your acquaintance."