18

Let's do this

Ace had a somewhat of a sleepless night but she was ready to do this mission.

They all gathered in the briefing room of the aircraft carrier. Stinger began to speak.

"Gentleman and Miss, This is bullseye. The communication ship, SS Layton, has wondered into foreign territory. The rescue operation is to begin within the hour, your mission is to give air support to that rescue. There are MiGs in the area, tensions are high. If you witness a hostile act, you will return fire. Those ships contain the exosent anti-ship missile. They can fire that missile from a hundred miles away. Gentleman and Miss, this is the real thing. This is what you've all been trained for. You are America's best. Make us proud."

"Ice."

"Yes, sir."

"Ace."

"Yes, sir."

"Hollywood."

"yes."

"Sector Two."

"Maverick, you back him up with Merlin on Ready Five."

"Yes, sir."

"RISE!"

Everyone stood up but Ice walked up to Stinger.

"Excuse me, sir?" He started.

"Yes?"

"This is not personal, but in regard to Maverick.... is he the best pilot-"

"I know what's on you mind, Kazansky, Just get on it!"

Ace looked at Maverick. "You stay safe." Maverick told the woman. "I will." Ace said as she walked off with Spade to get on their gear.

As they are walking to their plane. "Let's do this Ace." Spade said as he gave Ace a fist bump. "Let's do this." Ace said as they approached their plane.

..........

Ace was between Ice and Hollywood, she waved off any negative thoughts but she knew that they were haunting, she knew she had to stay focus.

"Voodoo one, you got a pair of bogeys. 12 o'clock, 15 miles." One of the radar said into the mic.

"Voodoo one, Voodoo one, zero-nine-zero. Radar contact 15 miles. I'm doing 500 knots." Iceman reported.

"Roger, that's your bogey."

Ace took a heavy breath as she and Hollywood stay close to Iceman while staying in the formation. Ace didn't want to lose anyone else she care about on this mission.

"Dead ahead, 15 miles. Airspeed is 600 knots." Iceman said into the comm.

While back on the ship, Maverick was getting ready. He was hearing Ace, she sounds shaky which worried him. He sighed.

"... 800 knots...dead ahead now eight miles, dead ahead now eight miles." Iceman called out.

"Wood and Ace? You got them?" Iceman called out. "Nothing yet, Wood?" Ace asked Hollywood. "Not yet, can't see them." Hollywood responded. "They must be close, I'm getting hard on." Wolfman also responded. "Geez." Spade said.

"Okay Ace and Wood, I'm taking the lead. Let's identify them." Iceman said as he flew ahead to scan the bogey.

"Roger, Ice. You got the lead. I'm on your left side, a little low as Ace is on your right side." Wood called out. Ace sighed.

They all then assumed an attack formation, but the bogeys followed.

"Oh shit!" Spade exclaimed which alerted the five pilots. "Spade?" Ace questioned. "What's happening Spade?" Both Iceman and Hollywood questioned.