Chapter Seven: November 30, New York City

Snow fell outside of Maggie's window. It was so beautiful, she thought, until it got covered in the dirt and grime of the New York City streets. It fell in large, silent flakes, making the streets seem peaceful. A man ran past, his breath fogging as he exhaled. His footsteps were muffled by the snow.

Maggie heard a voice and turned around, snapping out of her daydream. "What was that? Sorry," she said to Audrey, who had said something when Maggie was deep in thought.

"I was just wondering what you were thinking about," she said, smiling. She was sprawled across Maggie's bed, her curly hair a halo around her head.

"I was thinking about the snow. . . It's so beautiful, but it can become dirty so quickly. However, even with the dirt it remains unmelted, bearing its dirt as a battle scar."

"How tragic," Audrey said, coming to stand by her friend at her desk. Maggie smiled.

"Kinda reminds me of you," she said. Audrey gave a sad smile. It was true.

"Audwee, come and pway wiff mee!" Sang a voice from the doorway. It was Juni, one of Maggie's many younger siblings.

"Okay, Juni!" She and Mags followed the adorable three-year old girl into the living room, where Juni had set up a doll tea party. Charlii, Juni's twin brother, was smashing the head of an American Girl Doll repeatedly against the floor and laughing hysterically.

"Chahwee, stop it!" Juni said and pushed her brother away. Charlii started to cry and Mags picked him up and rocked him gently till he stopped crying. Maggie sighed internally. She loved her younger siblings, but she wished she didn't have to take of them by herself. If only Dad were here, and Mom wasn't so lost in alcohol. Then things would be better. She reminded herself that some people had it worse, and she had been blessed with an awesome best friend and seven wonderful younger siblings.

The four of them played tea party all afternoon. Eventually, Miss Merida, a very proper English doll, got so upset at the other dolls' manner that she sent them all home. By then it was time to put the kids to bed.

Maggie and Audrey helped them brush their teeth. Maggie tucked them into their bed on the floor in the room that they shared with her and Tim, their eight-year old brother. Audrey read the twins a story while Maggie tried to round up her five other siblings.

Finally, around 9:30, all the kids were fast asleep. Maggie had no idea where her mom was. Sometimes she would come home as late as 4:00 in the morning and would sleep for the entire next day. Maggie would have to impersonate her voice and call in sick to her job.

Finally, this meant that for a few hours at least, Maggie and Audrey had some time to talk. Not about boys, or kids, or even grades. Right now, Maggie just wanted to know what was going on with Audrey. Compared to Audrey, Maggie thought, her life was awesome.

~ * ~

Just a few weeks ago, Audrey had called her. It was the day after Halloween, and Maggie was in good spirits. However, she picked up the phone to hear her friend choked up with tears. In less than twenty minutes, Audrey had come over to her house.

When Maggie opened the door to great her friend, she felt a tiny piece of her heart chip off. For Audrey's face, neck, and arms were covered in bright, fresh bruises. Maggie had rushed to give her a hug, and Audrey soon told her what had happened.

"Audrey, you have to tell someone!" She had urged her friend. "If you keep on like this, the abuse will just get worse. Your mom clearly isn't going to do anything about it, and everyone at school believes your stepdad's lies."

"I. . .I don't know Mags. You don't Mark like I do. He would kill me if I told anyone!" Audrey glanced sharply at her friend. "And you'd better not say anything either. I'm figuring thing out, and next time it happens, I'll do something. I promise."

~ * ~

Now, they had time to talk about things. Maggie was worried about her friend. Maybe the next time, Audrey wouldn't wake back up.

"Audrey, we need to talk. I'm worried. About you."

"I'm worried about me too in all honesty. I can't live like this, Maggie. It's not healthy, nor is it safe. But I'm afraid. Mark can hurt me, he can hurt my mom, he can hurt Stephanie. The last thing that I want is my little sister being hurt because of me."

"Audrey, you need to tell someone! If you won't, I will. I'm afraid for you." At this, Audrey's face was a mask of absolute fear. She gripped her friend's arm.

"Don't. You can't. Please, Maggie, I'll be alright. I'm afraid of what he might do."

"Then promise me this."

"What?"

"The next time he hurts you, you do something. You either tell a teacher, a counselor, call a hotline, do something so you can stop living in fear!" Maggie felt a tear slip down her cheek, and she hugged her friend close. She couldn't imagine living without her. 

~ * ~