Chapter 1 Moving In

The personification of a country was a phenomenon that surprised many when they appeared. Rare as they were, and yet there was one for each country, past or present and even future. They hold all the knowledge, were representatives of their homelands, the embodiment of their territories, and yet they still had ways to show who they were when they weren't representing.

Of course, it also becomes hassle when certain events happen in a country, such as crime rate, history, allegiances, alliances, and enemies. Some countries try to move past those things that were pushed upon them by their people, whether to show they were their own entity, or because of another country they had come to love. But should something as serious as war comes to be, that too falls on their shoulders and possible that on their children should any be born during that time. Not to mention, how events in history tend to be reflected upon their countryhuman as well, most commonly as a wound that will scar in time.

For the most part, many try to keep their representatives in their homelands so as to avoid any further agony or trauma, but it almost never works. And as such, this often leads to the entities only meeting one another for an alliance, official business, kidnapping, or because they were family or married.

In the aftermath of the second war, this type of isolation often led to tension with many countries as so much information and messages were passed by their leaders and government who were in charge of them. In the age of technology, many worried to bridge the gaps by online platforms but it was often difficult for them whose relationships ended on a sour note. It wouldn't be the same as a personal apology or could even be seen as insincere. And some even just don't try at all as they weren't ready or would rather do it in person.

But, due to a recent development, governments have decided to try a new program. In which their representatives would be put into a college-like campus in attempt to let them meet and see one another. Perhaps even bury the hatchet or make new alliances. And if all goes well, by the end of the program, they will have the freedom to see who they would like on their free time. They were country embodiments, but they were human too.

Some countries were excited at the notion, to get to see their old friends and colleagues. Those with what had been deemed as forbidden love during the wartime would be able to meet their significant other once again. But some, understandably, were not so happy about the arrangement. To have to face their demons and be with them for this period of time.

Philippines was among the latter, and for good reason. Three colonizers, and no contact with them unless it was official business that more or less was for their reigning president. They heard from some of their friends that those three had changed for the better, but they would have to see for themselves. And even then, it would be a while before they could forgive them.

Philippines had tried their best to get their president to not send them to the place. But they insisted that it was for their own good. They knew they only meant well for their mental health. They did come out of that last one pretty scarred. The short time was the only consolation.

Now, here they were, being shipped off to a whole territory with a bunch of other countries that had gone into trenches and fought with another at least once. Some were colonizers themselves. But others were a mix of both. It was funny to see that last bit, actually. You yourself took control of another country and in turn, another country took control of you, or the other way around. It's like karma coming to kick you in the butt.

As they lined up with the rest for assembly, they knew that their time here would be awkward. From the looks of things, their colonizers will be here themselves. Whatever they were going though, it made one part of them hope they get their just desserts.

They shook their head, ridding those thoughts. They really shouldn't think that way. But that was the downside in most countries that had been to war: You have a split persona now. Your former self now gained an alter ego that you either have to take control or let it control you. They had been doing great with theirs, actually. But what if they came out now?

Philipp sighed, taking a deep breath and feeling for their face. Their flag surely had gained new color form the blank it previously was. There was a white triangle that took up a space on the left side of where you look. The triangle then divided into two main sections: Blue for above, and red for below. This meant that they were at peace. They were wearing a kerchief and white shirt beneath a blue and red jacket with a star in the left breast.

Taking a look around, they spotted the rest of the countries in the program already huddling up. The instructions were to go by alphabetical order, and they began to search for the P section.

"Philipp?"

The country turned to find a familiar face. This country had a simple flag: Split into a top and half of their face, with white on top and red on the bottom, straight to point to pertain to the flag's meaning. They wore a white shirt with a light brown pullover on it and black pants with sneakers.

"Poland?"

"Hey, long time no see" he smiled going up to the young country. "How have you been?"

"Oh, I've been better"

"You sure? You looked sad just a moment ago"

"Didn't you when you got sent here?"

"Fair point"

Philippines smiled. Poland was one of the nicer countries in their book. "What got you sent here?"

"My president thought going here would help"

They nodded in understanding. "It's still haunting you?"

He shrugged, hands clinging to his upper arms in a hug. "I try not to think about it. But, how about you? Still not over...them?"

They shrugged. "Though, it's not like I'll be avoiding them anyway while I'm here. Knowing them, they're all going to be here"

"Well, you could hope that you don't get sent in the same dorms"

"What?" he raised a brow at that.

"Don't you know? We're getting roommates each" he held up the waiver to justify. "Says it's for making sure everyone's got a buddy"

Philipp forgot about that part. They would end up in a room with either one or two more countries. And the thing was, they didn't even know who they would end up with. But one thing for sure: They wouldn't be your siblings. They could hope that they weren't anyone they'd fought with before or anyone that would want to control them.

"I guess I just didn't see that part yet" they explained.

"I don't blame you. I just got bored on the ride here, so I began to read"

They grinned. "Not drinking?"

"I don't think they're going to allow it here" the country mourned, missing their vodka already.

They chuckled. "If you could pick your roommate, who would it be?"

"Germany, or Sweden, or even Ireland"

"Not Malta?"

"Maybe" he smiled at the thought. "What about you?"

"Indonesia, or Malaysia, or even Brunei"

"I thought you would've mentioned South Korea"

Philipp sighed at the name. South Korea was a nice country, no doubt, but they weren't sure if it would be a good idea to wake up to certain music every day.

The bell rang, alerting them to assembly.

"We better get going. We're in between Peru and Portugal"

Without another word, the pair went off into the line with everyone else. Since their names were coming after each other, they stayed side by side. Philipp could see every other country jumbling about to find their places. A few who met a friend were bidding a good luck to each.

They sighed, knowing it would be needed.