Chapter 3 Settling In

Apparently, the program began tomorrow, so the countries involved would have the rest of the day to get accustomed to their positions.

Majority had already moved into their dorms and met their roommates, with a mix of disappointment and joy. Other had gone to explore the facilities. A nervous bunch took a moment to process the information before moving on and accepting their fates. For those with habits that wouldn't go, they were currently doing them now.

Philippines had been able to see just that for the next hour and could fair shortly into one of those categories. They had just learned just how many were going to be the dorm building with them, and who was going to be sharing the dorm building with them.

Spain was on the same floor with Iceland and India. Iceland could get you confused with North Korea upon first glance due to the flags, but they were different. Their flag was deep blue with a red and white cross going all over it. They were wearing a grey vest over a black jacket and a white scarf. Upon their head was a feathered black hat. On the sides of where the ears were was a pair of fluffy, white earmuffs.

India's flag consisted of India saffron, white, and India green stripes going from top to bottom. The navy-blue wheel in the middle of white, called the Asoka chakra, has 24 spokes in the center. They were wearing a light brown jacket and black pants.

America's floor had two countries: Uruguay and North Korea. Uruguay's flag had a yellow sun on the upper left area with four blue stripes and three white stripes. He was seen wearing a black, sleeveless hoodie with a white stripe; down below this white stripe the hoodie becomes a clear blue. He had academy shorts and knee-height black sneakers. Philippines swore they saw, in the hoodie's pocket, a pack of cigarettes.

North Korea was definitely not the friendliest and had even scared Japan on sight. His flag was mostly red with two blue stripes on the top and bottom sides, separated from the red by thin white lines. His right eye was covered by an eye patch that was part of the flag: White circle with a red star. He was wearing the same war uniform despite not being at any state at the present.

Then there was Belarus with Sudan. Belarus's flag held a left side of a red and white pattern that was most likely native to her country, and the red took two-thirds from the top of the flag, leaving green at the bottom with one-third. She was seen with an oversized, oriental red and white patterned scarf and a green and red jumper underneath. Along with it was a red and white patterned skirt. She was just a little ray of sunshine.

Sudan, a young Islamic country wearing a hijab. If you look closely, you could see there are bandages present on her head from a war. Her flag had a green triangle in the center right side. The three stripes on the rest of it were, from top to bottom, red, white, and black. She looked really scared when she came in with the smiling country.

Philippines was apprehensive over the fact that they had to get one of their former colonizers was in the same hall with them. The other two were in separate halls apart from them but still. Peru was nice one, from the look of things, but seemed to be wrapped around the cat-eared country's finger, taken by her cuteness. Another thing they learned, Japan was female now, or was she always?

For the next few hours, Philippines was unpacking and settling into the room. At some point, they had to go downstairs and check on everyone else to see what they were up to. Japan was cooking in the kitchen with America helping her, keeping an eye on North Korea who looked like he was ready to nuke the country. Spain was in his room, taking a siesta. Belarus was outside in the garden area with Sudan, taking in such a peaceful sight. Iceland and India were currently watching TV, also keeping an eye on North in case he turned their attention to them. Peru was pitching in at one point with Japan and America, much to the male country's chagrin.

All in all, total, it looked like a typical old dorm. At least no one was going crazy at the moment.

"Hey, there, you must be Philippines!" a voice called out.

The country turned to the trio on the couch. "Yeah, you're Iceland and India?"

India nodded while Iceland pointed to the third. "And that's North Korea"

"Nice to meet you"

"Likewise,"

"Pleasure's mine"

North made a hum sound.

"So, what got you sent here?" Iceland asked.

"Colonized, three times. Currently at peace. You two?"

"Same, but that varies"

"I bombed a country and hate my brother, does that count?" North answered rather bluntly.

"YES!" the whole house rang out. It caught the country off-guard at them all responding at once, but nonetheless remained stoic.

"So, wanna sit and watch with us? They're showing cartoons"

Philippines did like seeing those shows on TV from time to time. They were sometimes rather childish, but others grow in development and get dark as the series goes on and secrets are revealed with conspiracy theories and relationship fan fictions going around and growing in a fandom. They did like seeing them as a way to relax after a hard day's worth of work. And they did pass the time.

"Why not?"

The countries scooted to provide them with space, and they were able to sit down. North was in the armchair beside where Philippines was sitting, and his attention seemed to be flickering between the TV and the kitchen. The country couldn't blame him. The cartoon was a bit silly, in all honesty. A giggle erupted from the kitchen, and they turned their head to see why.

Japan was currently trying to reach for the curry powder in a shelf just beyond her reach. The giggle had come from Peru who was mixing something in a bowl. Beside them, America was just as amused. When the cat-eared country got into position to try and climb up there, the shades-wearing one went over to get it. It was easier due to his height advantage.

"You didn't have to, America-kun. I could climb" she mewled, rather embarrassed.

"And risk you falling down before, during, or after getting it? Fat chance" he smirked.

She only smiled as she took the package from him with a small bow. "Arigato, America-kun"

"Don't mention it" he pet her head, rubbing the ears a bit as well, enlisting a purr out of her. The sound caused both countries to laugh.

Philippines heard a groan beside him to find North glaring. "Oh, you are so adorable"

"I take it, you two aren't so friendly?" Philippines asked.

North then glared at them. "What's it to you?"

"I was a former colony"

"Well, isn't this awkward" Iceland whispered to India.

"Let me guess, when her flag really looked like a red sun, and we all thought she was a boy?"

They nodded, though caught off by the last bit. "What about you? She looked really scared of you"

"I bombed her, gave her a really bad nuke when she was still that Imperial freak"

Philippines stared at him, then Japan. Bombing would take a lot out of you, but she didn't seem the least bit harmed.

Right then, Spain came in yawning. "What did I miss?"

"Excuse me!" he dodged just as Belarus sped past him, leading Sudan to the bathroom.

Dinner was just as tense. Philippines sat next to Peru but didn't seem to have much attention on them due to how they were in a deep conversation with Japan. America and Spain were catching up with each other. Iceland and India were having one heck of a chat. North Korea didn't care. Belarus was trying to ensure that Sudan that she was safe as the hijab-clad country picked at her food nervously. They were able to speak with Iceland and India to get to know them more.

Everyone went to bed soon after, as they would have to get up for their new schedules. Activities were planned, most likely to confront some lingering issues. Whatever they were, it wasn't going to be easy. Soon, everyone was in their nighttime wear and headed to each room.

They were going to need the rest after all.