12. Tavern of Truth

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

Days after riding alone in search for his companion on the road, Geralt ends up in a city famous to all, and known only as Oxenfurt. He figured that wherever Aderyn might have gone, if she needed help, there was only one place she'd go to. Aretuza. The home of mages. From the amout of scent he smelled in her blood, if she wasn't treated the day she was hurt, she couldn't possibly be alive in this moment. So either someone helped her, or, the worse option, she's already dead.

But seeming as she is a witcher, a mage, and a tough warrior, there is a high chance that she is still alive. The first thing one uses to treat a poison is Golden Oriole. And everyone knows that. From a simple druid, to a master mage. It neutralizes the poison already in the bloodstream and stops it from spreading. If Aderyn was given some of it, she is likely still alive.

The journey to Oxenfurt was everything but easy. Having two horses by his side, Geralt had to find a way to transport the two of them as fast as possible. Which meant that he had to try and ride Váli. The stallion is hard to tame, and having only being ridden by Aderyn, the witcher's smell and touch were anything but familiar for him. He brought Geralt many problems, and although he rode much faster on him, Váli slowed Geralt down.

So, he decided it was time to make a different choice. Since they were right by the river Pontar, Geralt took the two horses to a city called Bondar. There, he traded some elixirs and rabbit skins for a boat to take him and the horses to Oxenfurt. It seemed nobody wanted any business with animals anymore, so it was hard for Geralt to find someone to help him. There had been sightings of savage animals, attacking their own owners, resulting in some serious damage around the cities.

Many borders have been closed, tradings stopped. People are losing money, and with it, food. Everyone is staying home now, feeling the thunder brew before the storm. And when it hits, they hope to be well enough to run. The journey down to Oxenfurt was easy and quickly done. When Geralt arrived, he immediately looked for a lodge for the night.

The horses were left in the stalls, and he tried to sleep- failing miserably. The fact that he couldn't reach Aderyn any other way made him angry. He wanted to kill anyone who stood in his way. But he was at the same time confused as to why he felt to strongly about the mage. She was, after all, an untrusting person. Eventually, and not to his preference, Geralt fell into a deep sleep.

That night he met with Vesemir. The old witcher appeared in his dreams, speaking to him about the woman.

"Have you found her?"

"I have."

"Is it the one?"

"She might have been. I don't know if she's alive anymore."

"Find her, bring her to Kaer Morhen. I must meet her."

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

The bright light of the sun wakes Geralt, his hair glued to his sweaty face. He groans when he sits up, looking out of the window. Today he would make the journey to Thanedd Island in search of Aderyn. But what he doesn't know, is that there are already many mages carefully watching every step he takes in Oxenfurt. Not very often do you see a witcher in that town, as they prefer to stay hidden from too public spaces.

But when word spread that the white wolf was around, immediately at least half a dozen spies were sent out to watch the white-haired beast. While Geralt tends to Roach and Váli in the stalls, he sees children run through the streets. Their mud-covered clothes stick to their skinny legs, surely chilling them. His own clothing was cleaned by the owner of the lodge, for another ten Farthings. (Currency used in Oxenfurt)

His yellow eyes gaze upon four people who are looking directly at him and realizes that he did not come unseen. Patting Roach on the neck, Geralt leaves the stalls and heads back for his armor. He puts it on, placing his sword on his back before stepping out of the lodging and walking out into the dark, grey day in Oxenfurt in search of food.

Stopping by a small tavern, he enters the wooden house, stepping to one of the empty tables in the back of the hall. Immediately he senses two people watching him as the waitress steps up to him with an unbothered look: "What'll it be, witcher?" He looks up at her and answers as polite as his deep, cold voice would let: "Bread and cheese. And bring me something to drink, too." The woman nods, turning away and stepping into the kitchen. The two pairs of eyes resting on Geralt now look away, not wanting to catch too much attention.

Geralt waits patiently until his breakfast is brought to him. He nods towards the waitress and begins eating, slowly. The slower he eats, the more people will be in the tavern, not letting the mages following him cause too much of a scene. And his plan almost works exactly like he wanted it to. Soon one of the mages stands up and walks towards him. But it's not one of the two watching him. So when they see that, they sit back down and frown, looking confused, even angry. The mage who did stand up, steps towards Geralt's booth and takes a seat opposite him. She looks at the unbothered, still eating witcher, waiting for aknowledgement. Even as the pale light from the window shines upon her face, it remains dark, hidden in the shadow of her hood.

"Not so talkative, are we?"

Her voice is deep, unlike any other Geralt had heard before. And it's capturing, pulling you into a mental well, drowning you if you don't pay attention. One word from her lips could resolve in absolute chaos. But then again, that is what mages are for, right? The witcher finally looks up from his plate and stares into the dark hood. He cannot see her, although he can guess what she looks like from her height and voice.

"Have you come to force me out of Oxenfurt, or to bring me to the brotherhood?" Geralt asks, leaning back into his seat, seeing the two other mages leave the tavern. He feels the mage in front of him smirk under her hood and pays attention to her as she removes it, revealing her perfectly sculpted face.

"Neither. I'm here to warn you against Stregobor."

Geralt grunts, not believing a single word out of her mouth. He looks into her eyes, taking his time to think about a question: "What is your name?"

The woman leans her elbows onto the old, wooden table, smirking: "I am Carmen of Oxenfurt,"

Geralt scoffs quietly.

"and I have reason to believe Stregobor wishes to kill Aderyn of Ban Ard."

≪◦ ❈ ◦≫

heyy guysss

I know it's been long, but here it is!

hope you're all well!!

x

Brooke