Chapter 26: i love you

I woke up to someone getting on the hospital bed next to me, the room was still dark and when I peeked up, the small light peeking through shone on Harry's green eyes.

"Hi beautiful." He whispered, and I fixed myself to make room for him, curling up against him. Looking over his shoulder, I spotted Charles still asleep in his chair and Becca was curled up in the bed with my mom.

"Hi." I whispered, my throat so dry from all the crying. I rest my chin on his chest peeking up at him.

"I think this is a sign I can't leave you again." He ran his hand softly on my cheek.

I nodded, and whispered, "I heard Jeff's pissed."

"Not as much as Olivia was, but we got the airport pap walk. I did my part. Now they can leave me alone to concentrate on you."

"Harry, she has to get better." I sniffled, my eyes wet again.

"She will, baby, she's a fighter like you. She will." He kissed my nose, wiping my tears, "Now get some more sleep, I'm not going anywhere."

I nodded and felt my body relax into his. Though my heart was breaking, having Harry here made me feel like I could survive this.

I woke up the next morning before everyone and walked over to my mom kissing her cheek. I left the room and made my way to the elevator. I needed a break from the hospital chatter, and I knew the Starbucks across the street like the back of my hand. When my mom was here during her cancer treatments, this was my escape.

I walked up to the register, ordering basic lattes for everyone asking for sugar packets on the side. I stood to the side checking my emails, responding to a couple things for work. I hadn't decided if I was going in tomorrow or not, so I acted like it would be a normal show day.

As I waited for the lattes, Harry called me, and I realized I should have texted him to let him know I was fine.

"Hey Harry."

His voice was full of sleep, "Baby, where are you? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah sorry babe, I came to Starbucks across the street from the hospital. I just needed to get out. I should have texted you."

"Charles guessed that's where you were, I just wanted to double check. Your moms awake by the way, so hurry back."

"She is? How is she? Is she talking?"

He chuckled softly, "She's fine, and prying as to why I didn't tell her we were living together."

"Glad to hear she's back to her normal self." I look up as my name is called, "Our coffees are ready, I'll be right there."

"Okay baby, I love you."

He hung up before I could process what he had just said. It took me a second to realize the barista was asking me something, "Is that enough sugar?"

"Oh, yes, actually no, sorry, just four more."

I love you. Did he just say I love your?

Harry's POV

Oh fuck. I love you. Did you just tell her you love her? Over the phone? For the first time.

I looked up noticing Becca observing my panic, before she snickered and came to sit next to me on the bed.

"So you love her huh?" She raised a very Maggie-like eyebrow at me.

"So I did say that." I ran my fingers through my hair.

"Was that the first time?"

"Yeah, it just came out. I wasn't thinking, I mean I've been thinking about saying it, but it felt too soon, but it's been on my mind." I turned to look at Becca's amused face, "Is she going to be freaked out?"

"Is that even a question? Miss Control freak herself probably has a timetable on when the appropriate time is."

I bury my face in my hands, "Ugh, Becca you aren't helping."

"What's going on over here?" I hear Charles say as he walks over.

"Harry just told Maggie he loves her over the phone without thinking about it. So Maggie is probably stuck over at Starbies panicking."

"I haven't even asked her to be my girlfriend yet. I just said it."

Charles chuckled a bit, "Mate, do you love her?"

I look up and furrow my eyebrows at him, "I thought that was already established."

"So then what does it matter? Don't let Becks over here harass you. I knew I loved that girl after two days. She had to drag it out of me. At least she won't have to kick your ass to get it out of you. She just might kick your ass for doing it before you all had a thoughtful conversation about where your relationship was going."

"You both are truly the worst people to make anyone feel better, you know that?" I got up off the bed and made my way out of the room to find Maggie.

Maggie's POV

The elevator doors opened on my mom's floor and there was Harry pacing back and forth in front of them.

"Hey." I said my voice cracking slightly.

"Maggie, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to blurt that out like that. I know I haven't asked you to even be my girlfriend properly, I just didn't know when the right time was because of everything going on and— I love you too."

I interrupted and smiled softly at him.

"Wait you...what did you say?"

I chuckled and rolled my eyes, "I love you Harry."

"Really?" That stupid smile I love appears on his face. Not the full Cheshire smile, but the one that tries hard to be that smile, but can't quite get it right.

"Mhm. Really."

He steps closer, holding on to the other side of the coffee tray, "Say it one more time."

I chuckle and shake my head, "Nope."

"Well I will, I love you Maggie."

We both look at each other like idiots, until something in me realizes Harry and I just confessed our love to each other in front of a bunch of people. My eyes widened and I looked around, "Harry, there's too many people."

He snaps out of his trance and looks around as well, his shoulder tense slightly, and he nods, as we make our way back to my moms room.

"Do you think anyone heard anything?" I whisper.

"I think we are okay, I will deal with it, if we have to deal with it later." He whispers back.

Before we walk in the door, he stops me, "This doesn't change anything Maggie, I love you."

I smile and peek over my shoulder, before leaning up and kissing him quickly, "I love you too."