Pt. 3

‧₊˚✧⋆*・゚☾ ⋆* Sweet As Morning Rain ‧₊˚✧⋆*・゚☾ ⋆*

Their breaths mingled, visible in the night air. 

Nevaeh stood tall, Rosaline looking up at her. They simply admired one another in the light, their bubble of reality feeling even more secluded when shrouded in fog.

With everything else around them having fallen into the back of their minds, it became clear to Rosaline.

They were equals, destined to be there for one another.

Destined to love one another.

"Rosaline."

Without realizing, the queen had leaned closer, and even though it was only the slightest shift forward, it felt like an ocean had been crossed.

"Nevaeh."

The captain swallowed, and the queen's eyes drifted up to meet hers.

"Are you sure?"

Nevaeh's lips nearly brushed the other woman's as she spoke, and in response, Rosaline closed the gap.

The kiss was sweet as morning rain, honey dew, and sugared lemon. The kiss, such a simple thing, felt like so much more to Rosaline.

And maybe it was.

When they pulled apart, just enough to breathe their own air, both the stoic captain and the ethereal queen broke into grins, and Rosaline let herself fall into Nevaeh's open arms.

They stood there, like that, embracing and brimming with contagious glee, until rain began to patter around them.

~✿~

"I leave tomorrow." The fire was a continuous background noise to Nevaeh's words as she cradled her cup of tea, elbows resting on her knees. "...At dusk. They say it's when the beast sleeps the deepest."

Rosaline rested her head on the other woman's shoulder, curled up beside her as she watched the flames.

"Are you afraid?" Her words were nearly a whisper.

Nevaeh shook her head, braids brushing against Rosaline's neck.

"No, not yet."

They rested in silence for a few moments, contemplating both their past few heavenly days, or the upcoming one.

"Please come back." Rosaline felt small.

"I will, my queen. I will."

~✿~

Rosaline remained stoic as she stood on the dock, watching as a massive ship was prepared for the voyage. Smaller warships were readying as well, but this one held her attention.

Its sails were black, but faded from years of sun and rain. The wood planks were thick but warped, and of course, the woman on its quarterdeck was as stunning as ever.

Her voice could be heard even over the other ruckus; a rasping yell.

Beside Rosaline, the king paused in speaking to his advisors and generals.

"M'lady, we'll just watch them go, and then return to the sitting room."

Rosaline sighed, but nodded.

In the end, standing on the dock would make no difference then sitting in the library.

"Of course, my lord."

Her husband nodded in approval, and Nevaeh approached, bowing. More so to Rosaline than the king.

"The sun falls soon, and then we shall depart."