Chapter 16 | The Tragedy of the Phoenix {Part 1.}

Changze held his son's arm tightly as they walked to the office. When they entered the room, Changze slammed the door in anger and dragged his son to one of the sofas.

"Sit down!" Changze ordered.

Wei Ying obediently sat down, but his father then paced the room nervously.

"I don't even know where to begin ..." the old phoenix finally spoke.

"Father, please forgive me for -"

"I've been patient and lenient with you so far. Because I thought I was doing you a good turn, and easing some of the pain I caused you by forcing you into this new life in a new place. ... I was hoping that maybe one day you'd forgive me for bringing you here."

"Dad, i was never -"

"First I weakened some rules, and then I deleted one. For the Silver Night, I asked permission from the others to allow the heirs of the ancestors to come here. I did it, all for you. All because I knew how hard the last few years have been for you. I honestly thought i was doing good not only for you but for your sister as well. But I just realized I made a mistake and i made everything worse. I made a mistake. ... a too big mistake."

"That's not quite the point. It's true that I didn't listen to you and I was irresponsible. I admit that ... But you must know, Dad, that everything I did was for a good reason."

"What? ... A good reason? .... Son, what good reason could you possibly have for twice risking your life to go against the rules that have served to keep you safe? Because there is no good answer to that! ... Son, ever since the Lan brothers have been here, you have started acting differently and breaking the rules. If there's a good reason for that, then isn't it possible that it's the younger Lan Dragon?!"

"No, he's not, Dad! Lan Zhan or his family have nothing to do with this!"

"But I see it differently. .. I knew it. I knew it was a bad decision to invite him also. He was also just who almost made you -"

"He's not to blame for anything! He didn't do anything! I decided to go to the forest because I was tired of my nightmare making my life miserable! And I don't regret it, because at least I found out what you've been hiding from me ever since!"

Wei Ying watched his father's reaction for a while, then continued.

"I have a dark power that you didn't say anything about. Not even once! ... Everything that happened this week, it's not Lan Zhan's fault, it's yours! If you had told me this and kept nothing from me, I would not have gone to that dark castle!"

"What did that demon tell you?" asked Changze calmly, much to Wei Ying's surprise.

"So the demon was right..."

"My son, .. what did he tell you?" asked Changze again, but a little slowly.

"He called me the Dark Phoenix, or perhaps the dark power within me that I used to destroy Wen Chao's father, his empire and also his brother. ... but I don't even remember doing those things!!!

"You don't remember them, because you didn't do either of them, but -" said Changze calmly.

Changze's sudden calm demeanour only made his son more annoyed.

"Dad, why did you hide all this from me? What is this power? Why didn't you say anything about this before?" asked Wei Ying loudly.

"Because this power made your mother leave the three of us! Because not only did I want to forget, but I wanted to stop this force from destroying and tearing apart my family again, ... just like it did to your mother. The dark phoenix within her ... This power was the only thing that could stop the Darkness! But it came at a great cost!"