Chapter 3 | The dragon brothers get bad news

The next morning, Xichen stopped his car not far from the house of the phoenixes.

( ... a change of apartment .. )

Xichen was unbuckling his seat belt when he heard the gate of the house open. He expected Yanli to show up. But he was surprised to see that it wasn't the phoenix girl, it was Song Lan.

Xichen found this odd, as from what Yanli had told him earlier about his father, Xichen had learned that Changze had become a very cautious and protective, stern father, since he had lost Cangse Sanren. Soon afterwards, Changze even had bodyguards, and Song Lan was one of them. But Song Lan was not only very loyal, he was also the closest to the phoenix. Song Lan was also Wei Changze's right-hand man and one of his best friends, not just his bodyguard. But even so, a rule also applied to him. Changze would not let anyone into his home, not even his bodyguards. At least that's what Xichen believed, until now.

What was even stranger for Xichen was when Song Lan stepped out of the gate, then took out a key and locked the gate. This meant that he was not let in by Changze, but Song Lan himself went into the house. At this point Xichen could not stand it any longer without saying something, and got out of his car and walked over to the man. He tried to hide his uneasiness with a slight smile.

Song Lan had just turned around and was about to leave when Xichen stopped him.

"Song Lan! ...Good morning." Xichen greeted him.

"Ah, Lan Xichen, good morning to you too. What a surprise to see you here."

"Yes, just as I am surprised to see you here." - he replied quickly. - "Well, if you don't mind me asking, since when did you get permissionand even a key, as I see, to enter the house? ... As far as I know, Mr. Wei does not allow anyone into his home."

"Well, it's an exceptional day, then, isn't it?" Song Lan tried to look surprised in front of Xichen, as if this was the first time he had heard what Xichen had told him.

Song Lan followed Changze's instructions, which meant that whatever they learned about the Wen brothers, or what happened at Changze's house last night, could not say anything to anyone.

Changze especially forbade him to say anything about where he had gone with his family. Changze trusted him that Song Lan would be able to keep all this from others until he decided otherwise. And Song Lan didn't want to disappoint him.

"And for what reason?" asked Xichen.

"It's quite a family matter. ... But if you're so curious, I'd like to ask you something, too, if you don't mind."

"I don't mind at all. Ask me anything you want to know." he said frankly.

"I wonder why you came here so early?" asked Song Lan with a suspicious look.

"I came here because I arranged a little meeting with Yanli yesterday. There are some things we need to talk about, and she asked me to come and get her."