26. Darkhaast

𝑲𝒆 𝒅𝒂𝒓𝒌𝒉𝒂𝒂𝒔𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒊 𝒚𝒆𝒉 𝒋𝒐 𝒂𝒂𝒚𝒊 𝒓𝒂𝒂𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒊 𝒚𝒆𝒉
𝑻𝒖 𝒎𝒆𝒓𝒊 𝒃𝒂𝒂𝒉𝒐𝒏 𝒎𝒆𝒊𝒏 𝒅𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒚𝒂 𝒃𝒉𝒖𝒍𝒂 𝒅𝒆

𝑲𝒆 𝒅𝒂𝒓𝒌𝒉𝒂𝒂𝒔𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒊 𝒚𝒆𝒉 𝒋𝒐 𝒂𝒂𝒚𝒊 𝒓𝒂𝒂𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒊 𝒚𝒆𝒉𝑻𝒖 𝒎𝒆𝒓𝒊 𝒃𝒂𝒂𝒉𝒐𝒏 𝒎𝒆𝒊𝒏 𝒅𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒚𝒂 𝒃𝒉𝒖𝒍𝒂 𝒅𝒆

I raise my hand to ring the bell of Barkat Villa. My heart drummed in my chest at the thought of seeing Maryam after around 60 hours 20 minutes and 48 seconds. When the door opened, I smile and glance upward expecting my wife to be there. I was familiar with the feeling that suddenly hit me when Saira baji's face comes into view instead.

Disappointment x heartbreak ultra pro max.

"Assalamualaikum," She greets, moving to the side to make way for me to come in.

"Walaikumsalam," I step inside the foyer and begin to take my shoes off.

"How was your day?"

"Fine,"

"Hmmm," Baji waits patiently by the closed door as I peel my socks off before speaking up again. "Had lunch?"

"Yup,"

"What did you eat?" She asked with the glint in her eyes as though she knew what I ate. 

No point lying. I tell myself.

"Shami kabab, dal and chawal." From my periphery, I noticed her smile in return.

"That's exactly what Pho had for lunch today at Khan Manzil. Is it possible that you sneaked into their house in hopes to see Maryam?" Baji teased, cocking a brow at me.

"I didn't sneak into their house, I entered through the front door. And I didn't go there for meeting Maryam because I knew she'd be in college at that time. Instead, I went in to see Uncle and Aunty."

"Achaaww?"

"Of course! I am the damaad of the year." I pause, chuckling along with her. "Begum sahiba kaha hai humare?"

"Kitchen,"

"Is there any, uh, change of some sort in her? I mean, I do trust you and your plan but it's Maryam we are talking about here."

"Lekin aapke sawal se to dikhra nahi ki aap bharosa karte mere plan pe." She sassed, placing a hand on her hip.

"Waisi baat nahi hai, but, I can't help it. Aman Mathur to phir bhi 6 din lardki in bola tha, aap to 2 and a half din lardki in ka bole na. And isme wo alag alag phases bhi nahi the jab Rohit Naina se baat nahi karta, doosri lardki ke saath baithta class me, phir ek din class ich nahi jaata. Aur, how would you know if she picked up her phone to call me but her ego didn't let her--" Baji raised her both her brows, challenging me to say another word. I gulp, not wanting to poke this Junglee Billi. 

"I mean-- I was just asking. Aur main samajh gya ki aapka plan is not straight out of the movie. Is-isme I was told not to talk to her at all, not chase her anymore so that Maryam stops running away from me and wo confuse hojana ke main uske peeche kyu nahi bhargu, aur phir mere peeche bhaagna to know why she is confused in the first place. Aur aapke plan ke according apan yeich confusion  ka faida uthare the ab tak. Now, I'll go in there and talk to her after 3 bloody days of not talking to her. Pata nahi kitna ghussa, kitne joote khane wala hoon main for my behavior that your plan demanded. But it's okay. Allah miya biwi ke haath se khana khilaye aur ab joote bhi khilare. But, I'm not complaining at all. And you know what agar ye mourn vrath kaam nahi bhi kara to it's okay. Lekin kaam to karna chahiyea kyunki ye aapka mahaan plan hai. So, I better take my leave."