Chapter 4: no such thing as freedom

Rebecca was hugging Rachel and trying to calm her down while Hadrian was talking to Caroline. "Should I call the police?" Asked Caroline. "No," Hadrian answered. "If you do, we all go to jail.". Caroline was frustrated. "How do you know that?" She asked. He looked up at her and answered. "Because my father knows people. We would probably also get killed in prison." She looked down. "Oh." He nodded and looked over at Rachel and Rebecca. "You need to get your mom, your friend, and yourself out of here." He told her bluntly. "No, I can help!" She signed angrily. "You saw how I saved you back there." He nodded. "I did, how did you do that?" She looked down. "I don't know. It just happens sometimes." She then looked over at her mom and Rebecca. "I can tell by your face that they don't know." He said. She looked back at him and shook her head. "I'm already weird enough as a mute. I'm normal to Rebecca and my mom. I don't want to give them a reason to think I'm...strange." He looked at her blankly, still not able to show sincerity very well. "Well, you need to tell them." He said without a change in his expression. She expected him to reassure her, she didn't know why, but she did. She scoffed and walked back towards them. He didn't give the conversation any thought and walked over to the cabinets in the kitchen. He opened them all up in search of something to drink. He found an almost empty bottle of tequila and snatched it. He gulped down the remaining drops and saw Mallory looking at him. "What?" He said. "Did you want some?" Mallory stuttered a bit. "No, sorry, it's just weird seeing you drink. You look so small." He laughed to himself and Hadrian rolled his eyes. He walked over to everyone who were all sitting on the floor. Caroline shot up and signed to him. "I know a place. I'll drive them there." She pointed to her mom and Rebecca. "Okay." He said. "Be fast." She nodded and rushed her mom and Rebecca outside to the car.

Bugsy was leaning against the wall, sprawled out on the floor. "What do we do now?" She asked, traumatized. "Now, we hide the bodies." Hadrian answered calmly. Mallory and Bugsy both shot surprised glances at him.

In the car, Caroline drove silently and Rebecca constantly looked at her. She knew she was hiding something. Rachel was in the back trembling. She put off a tough persona, but was just as frail as she looked deep down. They finally arrived at the apartment complex where Caroline lived. She handed her mom the key and told her to go ahead and that they'd be up in a minute. After she left the car, Caroline instantly turned to Rebecca. "I can't stay here with you guys." She signed.
"Why?"
"Because they need my help."
"No, they don't. You saw them. They handled everything just fine."
"But, none of that would've happened if I didn't save them."
"What do you mean?"
"I...I'm sorry I haven't told you, but..."
"But what?"
"But, sometimes I can see things yet to happen. I can't explain it, it just happens."
"You're talking crazy."
"No, I'm not. I can't even talk, Rebecca."
"Wow, you really still haven't accepted it? Unbelievable."
"Accepted what?"
"The fact that you're mute! It doesn't matter! You don't have to speak to be human, Caroline."
"I know that. I just wish I could. That's all."
"Well, stop wishing. Wishing doesn't do anything for you!"
"Neither does you reminding me!"
Caroline's eyes started to water and Rebecca could see that she upset her.
"Look, I'm sorry, but please don't go with them."
"I'm sorry too...because I have to go. I promise I'll be fine, but I need you to be fine too, so don't go chasing after me like some rom-com idiot..."
"Rom-com?"
"Well, not like that...I..."
Caroline was stumbling on her words and felt stupid, but her poor choice of words gave a Rebecca a feeling—a feeling that maybe Caroline liked her back. So, she risked it all and put her hand on Caroline's face and leaned in. It was like slow-motion to them both. Caroline's eyes got wide as Rebecca closed hers. Caroline quickly turned her head away which made Rebecca drop her hand and sit back upright in reaction. "Sorry, I..uh" Caroline signed. "I didn't mean it like that." Rebecca gulped and held back tears. "No, it's okay..I'm sorry....bye." She said before rushing out of the car and up to the apartment. "Rebecca!" Caroline signed, but Rebecca wasn't turning around. She slammed her head down on the wheel and shook it before driving off.