<Chapter Five> 'Tis But a Scratch

Why is the world spinning?

   "...ki. Loki!"

   What?

   "Brother, can you hear me?" I looked up. Why am I on the ground?

   Confused, I blinked around at my surroundings.

   Thor was beside me, his face unnecessarily close to mine, concern lacing his features. I leaned back a bit out of instinct. 

   Wait. Wasn't everyone sitting at the table just a second ago? Why are they all gathered around me? What happened? 

   "He's not answering and he looks confused. Do you think he might have a concussion?" 

   "Bruce, you should take him to the MedBay." 

   "What? N-no, I... what?" My eyebrows furrowed softly and I gazed down at the ground. I wish the world would stop spinning. It's making me nauseous. 

   "It's okay, brother. we'll-" I stood up abruptly. Perhaps a bit too abruptly. 

   Everything was swimming in and out of focus more quickly than I could comprehend it all. And then black. 

   There is a special hell called consciousness. Much to my dismay, it didn't take long for me to return to it. 

   Perhaps 30 seconds at most, because I was still on the floor when I awoke. The only difference was that everyone seemed much more alarmed. I couldn't understand why they were overreacting so much. If I could just sleep a few minutes longer... 

   "Loki. Stay with us. We're gonna take you up to the MedBay." 

   I couldn't find it in myself to argue. Maybe the MedBay would have a bed that I can lie down in.. just for a second, though. I wouldn't want to be in the way... 

   But wait. No. What was I thinking? I couldn't go to the MedBay, not now! What if they figured out something I've been trying to hide my whole life, they could laugh at me, they could expose me to the whole world, they could- 

   My breathing had only become slightly more irregular than normal, but apparently it was obvious enough for Thor to notice. 

   "Loki?" 

   "Never mind." 

   "What?" 

   "You heard me, I don't need to go. I'm not injured." 

   "Fucking hell, Loki. You just collapsed-" 

   "But-" 

   "Loki, just for one fucking time in your goddamn life, stop lying. Okay? This is it. There's nothing to get from this. Just admit you're injured and don't make this harder than it has to be!" 

   It seemed Stark's patience had finally ran out. I shut my mouth immediately. 

   I found myself incapable of thinking up one of my usual sarky responses, which was rather unfortunate, as sass and anger were some of my only defence mechanisms. 

   "You can't be hiding shit from us! You have to work with us, that's why you're here, isn't it?" 

   In a last desperate attempt to seem in control of the situation, I decided on simply glaring at Stark with as much annoyance and apathy as I could muster in my current state of mind. I don't think it worked. 

   "Just... go." 

   I wish I still had it in me to argue. 

... 

  I watched carefully as Banner scribbled something down in a notebook. I couldn't see what he was writing, but I imagine it probably looked something like this: 

  His leg seems to be fine, but my diagnosis is narcissism, psychopathy, and a severe need for attention as validation for his actions. I suggest a daily dose of Advil and some Avenger trauma to make him realise how lucky he is for his life to be so easy and simple. 

  I stopped my train of thoughts as the doctor looked up. 

  "Your leg is broken." 

  Damn it. 

  Weak- 

  "So?" Banner furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, only serving to make me more frustrated than I already was. 

  "So," he emphasised, "you maybe should've told someone you're injured and sought help instead of denying it and making it worse." 

  "Gods such as myself do not require as much medical treatment as you mortals, for we heal more than three times as fast as-" 

  "Damn it, Loki, just stop with all of this 'Gods such as myself' bullshit, you're not fooling anyone. Thor's been injured on missions many times before, and believe it or not, he also needed medical attention just like everybody else did." 

  "But he's Thor."  

  "And you're Loki." 

  I managed to mostly withhold my look of hurt at that statement. I mean he is right, but it still burned. 

  "I'm truly honoured." 

  Banner rolled his eyes. It seemed to work. 

  "You can leave now. I recommend you don't strain yourself too much for the next few days, though I doubt you'll actually listen so whatever." He left. 

  It was my turn to roll my eyes this time. 

  Time to go strain myself too much for the next few days. 

+++ 

A/N 

  Sorry for the lack of updates recently. School's been kicking my ass but hopefully not for long! 

  Hope you enjoy this slightly shorter chapter. Sorry if it's a bit trash 

822 words 

-Heido_o7 

September 23rd, 2022