13

The next morning I get ready early in the morning since they open at 7.
I hurry to eat breakfast. "Why are you in such hurry" Alex asks.
"I don't want to be late for work"

I wait for his reaction as I keep eating.
"You got the job! Ohhh I'm so happy for you" he says giving me a pat on the shoulder.
"I know I'm amazing" I say in a sarcastic way giving myself a compliment. We both laugh at that.

"Why are you two up so early" mom says watching us from a distance.
Alex mouths the words 'she got the job' beside me. "Oh honey that's amazing, we will visit to get milkshakes sometime." She says and I nod. "Time to leave" I say chewing the last bit of sandwich I have left.

My father have had a lot of work lately so he hasn't cared about why I've been at home for two weeks. Since he thinks Ezra just sent me here to see my family. When the reality is I was sent here because he never liked me. I get out of my thoughts as I leave.

***

"Okey so we have a lot of flavors you need to keep in mind" Mia says showing me the menu. "How many flavors are there?"

"About 20 different flavors, you need to know the ingredients and how to make them all" she looks at me. "I know it's much" she smiles.

"It is but I'm a fast learner" I say taking a photo of the menu. "I'm saving it to study tonight"

"Stand and watch me when the customers come in and I will explain how I make the milkshakes." She says and I nod.

She shows me how everything works and it doesn't seem that hard. I take each customers orders and Mia makes the shakes. I watch her as she shows me how to make them. It's fun. And soon I will be able to make the milkshakes myself.
We work to 8pm and then put closed on the door.

"We did so good today" Mia says putting her hand in the air. I high-five her and we laugh. "What do you say about one last milkshake?" She says.

"I would say that sounds perfect." I answer.

We get back to make one milkshake for ourselves. I make mine in strawberry flavor and she makes a banana flavored one. We sit down on the white sofas and place our shakes on the table.
"Mines sooo good try it" Mia says and I refuse. I hate bananas.

"No way I'm tasting that" I say.

"How dare you say no to my banana milkshake" she says and we laugh.
We talk for a long time. Things we don't know about each other. And it feels like we have known each other for a year.
She tells me about how her sisters annoy her and I tell about mine. She pauses for a minute or two to drink up the last bit of milkshake she has left.
"So any boyfriend?" Mia asks.

"Well I've had one boyfriend and been married to another." I say. She opens her eyes so wide in shock.
"What! Married with who!" She says and I laugh a little. Not knowing where to start.

"It's a very, very long story" I say. I haven't talked about this thing with anyone. Only my family knows what happened but I haven't even told them what I've been through. It's nice to have someone outside my family to listen to me.

"I'm a good listener, tell me everything" she says and I start. I tell first about how we were forced to marry. How it all started and ended. I tell everything.

After about 1 hour I have told her my story and she is still shocked. "What!" Putting her hand on her forehead.
"Well this Ezra won't bother you now right?" Mia asks.

"No he doesn't want to see me, probably out with other girls" I tell her.
"Well if he ever shows up I promise to be the first one to slap him." she says and we laugh. "Thank you!" I say smiling at her.

"Well what are friends for"

I get up to hug her. I've really missed having friends since everyone at school hates me now. When I let go of the hug I realize it's dark outside. Fuck what's the clock. 23:30. Have we really been talking for that long. Father is going to kill me. "It's getting late I have to get going." I say trying to hide the pure panic on my face. We clean this place up fast and leave the store.

We both part our ways and I take the bus home. I open the door as quiet as a mouse but somehow he gets everything. Standing on top of the stairs staring at me. "Where have you fucking been" Father raises his voice walking over to me. I close the door so the neighbors won't hear. "I was at work" I let it slip out. "Since when do you work! And why haven't Ezra Perez picked you up yet" he starts to yell. I don't dare to answer. "He threw you out right!" He yells and when I start to cry he knows.

"Answer me!" He punches the door behind me. I jump out of fear. "Ezra doesn't want me father" I try to tell him. But he doesn't care. He grabs me by my hair. Dragging me upstairs and into his office. I cry not being able to do anything. My body feeling so weak.he throws me to the ground and I catch myself before falling on my face. "You worthless pice of shit" he beats me.

Kicking me with his shoes on. I lay on the ground gasping for air. Each hit making me want to die. "Father stop!" I cry. But he hits so hard that my body can't take it no more. My eyes close and it goes black.

***

I wake up in my bed. My mother is beside me, holding my hand when I open my eyes. Im late for work. I try to sit straight up but fail. "Ahh" I let out in a tiny voice. Mother looks up at me. "Lay down honey you have very bad bruises." She says pushing me back down. I know I can't go to work today. But I feel embarrassed to be away on my second day.

If this keeps happening I will get fired. "What happened to me?" I ask. "You passed out" she says.
It takes everything to not cry right now. I try to keep strong. I've never been able to hit him back and it makes me so fucking mad. I can't take it no more and even so I get beaten up every time. Nothing will ever change.

Mother gets out and I grab my phone.

"I'm so sorry but something serious happened at home and I can't make it to work today, Amelia" I write to Mia.

"So sorry to hear that, hope everything's well, see you tomorrow" Mia texts back and I send an thumbs up. I haven't been to school either for weeks. Since everyone made me sad Ezra didn't want me to go for a while.

I try to lift myself up. And stand up to walk to the bathroom. Looking myself in the mirror. I feel terrible. My eyes swollen and hair a total mess. Not looking like me at all. I slowly lift my shirt and see the big bruises along my ribs and the sides of my stomach. I take my bruise cream and put it all over me.

I spend the whole day at home trying to make it hurt less so I can go to work tomorrow.

But it seems like my bruises won't be gone for a while. Almost like my feelings for Ezra. And I think that ever since I got to know Ezra I knew he wasn't the bad guy, and without even realizing I had developed feelings for him.

Only if Ezta he knew how bad it was at home.

Anything to make my writing better?