VI. Ends Justify Means

SIX. Ends Justify Means

———————————————————

THE VARVERA'S WERE a long line generation of empty bottles in hand with more alcohol running through their veins than blood. They were like spiders in their web waiting ( impatiently ) for their prey to feed on, tearing them apart limb by limb. They took the accomplishments of others for themselves. They lied, they cheated, and they stole. Nothing redeeming came from the lips of those of whom they were described.

               But their loyalty ran thick.

               Alana couldn't care less about the grounder— his feelings or his pain. It was almost sick, but Alana couldn't deny that since the grounder had almost killed Finn, now she wanted to kill him. She didn't know what Bellamy was doing on the second level, but she knew it wasn't a friendly conversation.

"Ok, I'm done," Clarke announced as she finished cutting off the last makeshift stitch on Finn's wound with a pair of scissors.

"Good. Do you have anything to cover the wound?" Abby asked through the radio.

"We'll make do." Clarke sighed. ". . . Like always."

Raven studied Finn, an uneasy feeling coming over her. "Should he be this pale? Warm, too?" She asked Abby.

"He's lost a lot of blood, Raven. But if your boyfriend's anywhere near as tough as you and Alana, I'm sure he'll be fine."

Alana smiled warmly at Abby's compliment while Clarke put a hand on Finn's chest. Her face quickly contorted into one of concern. "Wait, Mom, she's right. He's feverish and his breathing's uneven."

"You need to give him some time to recover. Let me know if he gets any worse, but I think, I think he might just be out of the woods."

"Well, down here there's nothing but woods." Clarke put her hands to her head. "I need a break," she muttered.

               "Take one. You need it." Raven nodded. "Me and Alana will look after Finn." Her hand found Alana's and they interlocked fingers.

               "And Clarke." Alana stopped Clarke before she walked away. The blonde girl looked at Alana expectantly. "Thank you. For everything. He wouldn't be okay without you."

               Clarke eyed Finn, then looked back to Alana. "Don't thank me just yet."

               Alana pursed her lips but didn't respond.

"Clarke? Clarke, wait. Raven, Alana, could you give us a few minutes?"

"Sure." Raven and Alana stood up, ready to leave the room, but before they could, Clarke stopped them.

"No, no. Stay with Finn," Clarke told them.

               When Clarke announced she was going up after successfully removing the knife from Finn, Alana's curiosity got the better of her, and stood up to follow Clarke up the ladder to the second floor. They opened up the hatch and climbed in, but they couldn't take two steps before someone blocked their view.

"Get the hell out of my way," Clarke snared at the boy. Hours of stress had driven her to the tip of the iceberg. She wasn't about to take anything from anyone, let alone a mindless follower of Bellamy.