IV. Blind Leading Blind

FOUR. Blind Leading Blind

————————————————————

THE SUNRISE IN the east began to shine through the fluorescent green leaves of the forest and the advantage of hiding in the shadows had been whisked away by the devious hands of those above.

The group which had significantly decreased in size from when they first left still hadn't found any sign of the whereabouts of the missing girl: Octavia Blake. Once Alana learned of her last name, it made her a little less determined to find her considering the first impressions of her brother, but she stayed with the group nonetheless, too afraid to go back to camp by herself. Plus, she had argued with Finn about going and she wasn't about to let Finn gloat in being right.

It didn't take long for Alana to realize how completely out of shape she was. The skills she was beginning to learn on the ground would have never been necessary on The Ark.

Sweat settled in her brunette roots, causing her thick hair to stick to the back of her neck, and a constant ache burned throughout her entire body. Her achilles had skin rubbed off from her shoes being too tight, and her mouth was dry from the lack of water she brought with her. Alana felt like a ticking time bomb, never knowing when she was going to explode.

               "I got nothing," Finn sighed in defeat. "We lost the trail," he admitted.

               Those were the last words Alana wanted to hear at that moment. "What do you mean you 'lost the trail'?" She snapped as her pace quickened to catch up with Finn who was walking not too far in front of her.

Finn stopped to turn around to face her making Alana stop in her trail too. An impatient look was plastered on his face. "What does it sound like, Alana?" He retorted.

              "Sounds like—"

               "Keep looking," Bellamy snapped to diminish their argument before she got a chance to respond. She scowled at him in response, but he didn't spare her a glance.

Bellamy was growing impatient. The search for Octavia had been taking longer than he anticipated. He felt stupid from his sheer hope that she would just turn up. But it didn't matter how long it took— Bellamy Blake was not coming back to camp without his sister.

               The annoyance on Finn's face never left. "Wandering around aimlessly isn't the way to find your sister. We should backtrack," he expressed his disagreement.

               "I'm not going back," Bellamy countered definitively, cutting him off from his suggestion.

               "Hey, where's John?" Roma asked worriedly as her head whipped back and forth, looking for any trace of where the boy could have gone.

Everybody followed suit to turn around and look for the boy, but he seemed to have disappeared out of thin air.

               "I just saw him a second ago," Jasper muttered.

               "Spread out. He couldn't have gotten that far."