|chapter 5

♡☆♡

♡☆♡

I scrambled around the room, tweaking different projects at the same time. I was a bit of a scatter-brain, but keeping my hands busy was something I needed to feel calm. I always had an excess of energy and having a project to work on gave me a distraction.

Ever since I was a kid, I'd always been interested in technology, fascinated by its complexity yet simplicity in its engineering. I had been a fan of Tony Stark for a long time, interested in his advances in technology until I grew up and realized that he was murdering thousands of people with his weapons.

That had turned me away from technology for a long time until I realized I could use my powers for good. Defense instead of offense.

So I started creating self-defense weapons that were non-lethal and could be easily mass-produced.

Of course, despite building several successful prototypes, it was kind of impossible to get funding with my position, so I kept them to myself and instead used them for my missions. And now, with the materials I managed to steal from the rich and powerful, I created enough to keep myself supplied.

My phone rang with a notification, and I froze in my movement. I knew what that sound meant. I got distracted and forgot the delicate task I was performing and a large shock ran through my body. I jumped, the electricity was not painful but it was uncomfortable. I still hadn't gotten used to the feeling of foreign electricity.

I shivered, trying to get rid of the feeling before reaching for my phone. Sure enough, there was the text I'd been waiting for the last week. I couldn't believe that it was here.

frisbee-throwing idiot

Information is valid. When do you want to meet?

***

I sat down on the bench, turning my body towards the fountain spitting water. Running up and down over and over. Pigeons flying around it, trying to bathe themselves in the water, doing their best to avoid the water spouts.

I adjusted my cap, lowering as much as I could without being overly obvious. I felt the pins I'd used to secure my wig digging into my scalp. I grabbed my bag, pulling my phone out of it and pretending to swipe through it.

"Hey," a familiar voice said from beside me. I kept my eyes on my phone, resisting the instinct to fight him. Old habits die hard, I guess.

"Hello, Rogers," I said. Steve cleared his throat, and I saw in the corner of my vision as he leaned back on the bench and crossed his arms. "Are you finally ready to make the deal?"

"I want to hear your terms again."

"Alright. Rule one, no questions asked." I answered.Steve hummed in agreement. "Rule two, you tell no one about this. You don't snitch to the other avengers and keep me, your informant, a complete secret. You are to be the only person to know I am your informant."

Steve shifted uncomfortably in his seat. Of course, the boy scout would be bothered about keeping a secret from his friends.

"Rule three, you follow my directions exactly. When you contact me, you won't ever mention my name or make any comments that will reference my identity. If you need to call me, you won't say any sensitive information because phone calls aren't safe. If we meet up, we'll use different locations and different paths to not be tracked." I closed my eyes, leaning my head back. Maybe I was being reckless by not keeping Steve in my sight, but I was tired. "Rule four, if I ask you for favors you will do them. If you don't, I won't do you the favor of giving you information."

"Hold on," Steve said when I finished. "Okay, so not asking questions, that's fine. Keeping things a tight secret and not leaving a trace of our contact, that's fine as well. But keeping you a secret? How am I supposed to explain this to the others when they wonder where I get all my information?"

"You tell them the truth. That you have an anonymous informant who will only give you information if you keep their identity a secret. You tell them that if anyone else intervenes, they'll bail without a word. But in no moment will you mention my identity or any information about our meeting or exchanges to anyone."

"Fine. And if they track me? Look through messages or bug me to find out?"

"Would they invade your privacy that way? You have some really shitty friends. And, that's why we take precautions, Captain. Don't leave any sensitive information where anyone can find it, use different paths to keep it a secret, and use detectors to stop bugs and interfere with frequencies." I explained. Scoffing, I added, "Do you think I'm an idiot? I'm using one right now to make sure you aren't leading me into a trap."

"My friends aren't shitty, you just don't know them. And, fine. Maybe we'll take precautions, but if they put their minds to it, they'll find out something one way or another."

"I know. Why do you think I've gotten so close to getting caught this often?" I asked, huffing. I realized my slip-up too late.

"We got close to catching you? You didn't do it just to mess with us?" Steve asked, astounded.

I swallowed, leaning forward and glaring at the floor. God, I can't believe I let it slip. What an idiot.

"Unimportant," I said, avoiding the subject. Tip-toeing around stuff was a specialty of mine. If I wanted to, I could avoid talking about something very well. "So, are we done here?"

"Not quite yet," Steve answered.

I groaned, rubbing my forehead. "Okay, what is it?"

"I'm not doing any favor you ask me," Steve said. I looked at him, staring. I looked away hastily, correcting my mistake.

Anyone would look at the person on the bench beside them, I reminded myself. I took a deep breath, biting the inside of my cheek.

"I'm not totally unreasonable, Captain. I'm not asking you to commit murder or shit like that, just simple stuff. I promise it's not to do anything bad, it's to do stuff you want to be seen done. Maybe it's not the means you would use, but that's how I do it," I said. "I told you if, at any time you think my favor is excessive, you can not do it. But I won't give you any information anymore. It's as simple as that."

"I knew you had to benefit from this. Of course, you had alternate means-"

"Shut the hell up, Rogers. You have no idea what you're talking about."

I surprised even myself by my outburst. Being thought of as a villain, or as evil had never bothered me before. I didn't mind people insulting me as long as I knew I was doing the right thing, even if they couldn't see it. But Steve had a way of getting under my skin like no one else.

"Sorry," Steve apologized.

Now it was my turn to be shocked. Did he apologize? Why did he have to be so perfect? It made it so hard to hate him.

"Do we have a deal, Rogers?"

"Yes."

I turned towards him, holding my hand out, peering up at him from under my sunglasses. Steve took it, shaking it firmly. His hand was warm but slightly rough and calloused.

"Congratulations, Captain. You just made a deal with the devil."

♡☆♡