|chapter 3

♡☆♡

♡☆♡

I slammed my gun against the guy's jaw and he crumpled to the floor, unconscious. I wiped the blood from my nose. Why was it always my nose that bled? 

The alarm echoed in the large corridors, ringing in my ears. Couldn't they use a noise that was a little more calming and less holy-shit-the-world-is-ending-say-your-prayers-before-we-die? Thorne was a sucky organization.

I slid the gun back into my holster. What a pity I didn't get to use it for anything but slamming it into people's heads. Then again, I didn't need any deaths on my conscience.

I ran down the corridor and the stairwell. I peeked a view down and saw that I was twenty feet from the ground level. And then I heard the thundering of footsteps from behind me. No time for stairs, I decided.

I grabbed the handrail, swung my legs over it, and let my hands go slack. I dropped down the stairwell, rolling to absorb the impact. It wasn't the tallest I'd fallen, but high enough and I didn't need broken bones today.

I heard shouting from above me and I patted my pocket, double-checking that I still had the USB in my pocket. I ran down the corridors when I came across two agents. "Shit," I muttered as they lifted their guns. I kicked the gun from the hand of one of them, sending it against the other's hand. I punched the agent and shoved him into the other one. The second gun clattered to the ground and I didn't hesitate to kick it across the corridor. 

They were both lying on the floor. Must've been a couple of newbies. I kept running, snatching the guns as I passed them. A little souvenir from my trip to a Thorne base. 

I tried to leave through a door, but it was locked. "Damn it," I breathed. I shoved my shoulder against it, trying to open it.

Footsteps were getting closer and I heard the familiar sound of a safety being turned off. I shoved my shoulder again and again and again. The door finally gave way, pushing open. I stumbled outside, grateful for the fresh air. I ran across the courtyard and made a path to the forest beyond it. 

I climbed the gates with ease, the electricity coursing through it not bothering me in the slightest. Just as I was climbing down, I heard someone shout and a gunshot echoing. I was distracted and accidentally let go of the gate. I fell to the ground with a muffled thud. At least I fell onto the grass. I stood up, brushed the grass from my pants, and started running. 

I ran to the forest, ignoring the sound of alarms coming from the Thorne base and the sound of gunshots landing on the perimeter of the forest. I ran past my first checkpoint, a small red stripe on a tree, and I climbed up it. I jumped, grabbing the first branch I could reach.

When I managed to get my hands on it, I used the trunk of the tree to push myself up. I started climbing up the tree, almost slipping several times but regaining my balance.