|chapter 2

♡☆♡

♡☆♡

Four Months Later

I HUMMED ALONG TO THE SONG ON THE RADIO, drumming my fingers against the steering wheel. My earpiece crackled with static before a voice filled it.

"Seriously? Can you believe this?" A familiar voice rang through my ear. A certain billionaire who had it out for me since an incident four months ago; Tony Stark.

I turned down the volume on the radio, annoyed that the avengers had to notice my little presentation right when my favorite song came on.

I grabbed my phone from the passenger seat, scrolling through it with one hand and keeping the other steady on the steering wheel. I had practice multitasking, and unless I passed by a cop, I doubted anything could happen. Probably.

I found what I was looking for and turned up the volume on the earpiece. This was going to be so entertaining. Better than any song, podcast, or audiobook. And so cruelly amusing.

"Tell me it wasn't her," another voice said. Bucky Barnes, I smiled with realization.

"'Hope you enjoy my little present, signed Sparky'. Yep, it's her," Tony said, reading the note I'd left them.

I snickered, before freaking out when I forgot whether or not I'd muted my earpiece. I checked my phone again and sighed in relief when I saw it was muted. Four months of doing this and I still didn't trust myself to screw it up.

"This can't keep happening. It's harmless, if a little annoying right now, but if she tries to take it farther, someone could get hurt," Steve said.

"I'm doing my best," Tony snapped.

"Ooh," I winced in sympathy.

I'd noticed that Tony had more venom towards Steve and Bucky than anyone else. From the files I'd managed to steal so far from the Avengers Compound, it wasn't by simple coincidence.

Something had happened between them that they refused to talk about, some kind of fight or similar had happened in Siberia. No files talked about what happened, but I knew it wasn't anything good.

"No fingerprints," Natasha Romanoff announced, interrupting their bickering. "Or camera footage, or suspicious activity. It's like she's a ghost. Slips in and out without being seen."

"Is that admiration in your voice, Romanoff?" Tony asked.

"She's good but not as good as me."

That was a compliment. Romanoff was known as the best of the best, someone you couldn't help but admire her skills. Maybe her past wasn't the best, but neither was mine, or anyone else's. Not all of us could be boy scouts like Steve Rogers.