Sixteen

Who's your favorite musical artist/book author?

"So, how is it that we're still here, but the whole of the universe is going down the cosmic shitter?" Allison asked.

They were all gathered back at the hotel, lounging haphazardly on the couches and sofas on one of the upper balconies. It's not like anyone was there to tell them they couldn't. They're ere simply the last ones to remain.

"Maybe we're the last to get flushed." Viktor said.

"Wasn't talking to you." Allison put down.

"Hey, has anyone seen Klaus?" Luther asked.

"Or dad?" Sloane added, lifting her head up from where it was resting on the man's shoulder.

"They'll be here." Diego said determinedly.

"Really? Did they... hit traffic?" Ben asked sarcastically. Gone was the pleasant 'yay we saved the world Ben'. Now he was donning that permanent glare of his as he addressed everyone. "Look, people, we're alive because we're special, right? We're the only ones who can save the universe."

"Uh, question." Allison held up a finger.

"Yes."

"Didn't we just try that and fail miserably?"

"Yeah, it's because his plan was stupid." Diego commented. "I've got a better one."

"'Course you do." Ben sighed.

"We go with the large hard-on particle accelerator. You guys do some science, and..." he clicked his tongue against the roof of his mouth to imitate a pop sound. "...we launch the Kugelblitz into outer space. Didn't think I knew that, did ya? It's in Switzerland."

"It's 'hadron', not 'hard-on', you moron!" Ben said, glaring daggers into Diego's skull.

"Oi! At least he's trying you shitty little squid." Lila said. "What have you contributed?"

"Actually, he did blow up half his family." Diego pointed out.

"Oh, you wanna talk about family problems?" Ben fired back. "You know what should have blown up is your face on that neck!"

"I wish I had a cake to hit you with it in your face!" Diego fought back. The two men were face to face now, yelling at each other despite their close proximity. They fought back and forth some more, each in their own language that was not English and only making their entire conversation even more stupid given that they could no longer understand each other.

"Hey!" Five said, calling everyone's attention. "You guys done? The universe is disappearing outside. So you can keep rearranging the deck chairs of the Titanic if it makes you feel better. But the fact remains that we are too late."

Ben and Diego both scoffed as they relented and walked away from each other.

"Five, come on." Said Luther.

"It's over, Luther. We failed."

"Come on. It can't be over over." Viktor said.

"Yeah, come on, Five. We gotta figure this out, man." Diego added.

"Okay." Five said. "How about we take a step back? Look at the big picture here. Most of us have spent the last 28 days trying to stop the world from ending. What exactly have we accomplished?"

He was greeted by silence. Emery frowned as the boys sorrowful mood rubbed off on him. Fives spirits had deflated to near nothing ever since those mirrors started breaking.

"Well, we made some friends along the way." Luther volunteered after seeing no one else was.

"Incorrect!" Five deflected. "You know what we've done? Nothing. We made things worse every single time." He said, flourishing his hands as he accentuated his point.