Six

If you could take three things to a desert island, what would they be?

"Emerinoooo, I brought your boyfriend with us." Klaus sing-songed as he opened the door and got behind the wheel, stunning his hands against the rubber rapidly.

"Klaus brought me with." Five explained, opening the passenger's side door and smiling. "You're riding in the back though." He said, smile sarcastically apologetic. Emery sighed but got out and traded seats with Five as he got into the back.

"Cool." Emery said once he was settled. He had been sitting in the car waiting for several minutes after Klaus left him saying he needed to get a few things before they left. Emery now knew 'a few things' meant 'I'm going to bring Five and tease you two the whole time'.

"Problem?" Klaus asked.

"Not at all." Emery said as Klaus started the engine and they started rolling forward.

Emery settled right in, let himself relax as he leaned against the window, and watched as the buildings gave way to rolling hills dampened with deadened grass of a new spring.

It was the first time in a long while he could just sit and appreciate the scenery that was well and alive and not on death's doorstep.

Music sang out from the sound system and filled the car with song and Emery found Five subconsciously nodding his head to the beat.

"This actually isn't so terrible." The boy admitted after some time.

"See? Told you."

"Come to think of it, my whole life I've been under the gun." Five went on. "Missions for Dad, working for the Commission, trying to survive the apocalypse. I was always looking around every corner, just waiting for the other shoe to drop. It's nice to just breathe."

"Good for you, man." Klaus applauded. "Retirement is suiting you."

"But I think it's also scaring everyone else." Emery said. "Diego thinks you were plotting his death when you smiled at him today."

Five scoffed. "Who says I'm not." He deadpanned. "Kidding." He added shortly after. Rifling through the front glovebox, Five then pulled out a map that he folded smoothly against his lap. "So, I've circled all the roadside attractions along the way."

"Ohh I'm not sure we're gonna have time for all that..." Klaus said but Five paid him little mind.

"We have the Brownsville Big Nickel. Oh, Ricky's Bakery has award-winning pies."

"Well if you just let me explain-" Klaus tried to interject again. Emery frowned, crease forming on his temple as he leaned forward in his seat.

"Or there's this Cow Henge." Five went on, oblivious.

"Klaus." Emery said firmly. "What is it?"

"Alright, if you'll just listen to me for two seconds?"

"Okay." Five said, folding the map and turning his attention to Klaus. "I'm all ears."

"We are going to Pennsylvania to find... My birth mother. Yay!"

"Excuse me?" Five asked.

"That might have been a notable mention before we got in a car with you." Emery said.

"I'm sorry, okay?" Klaus said. "I'm sorry. I just needed somebody to come with me for emotional support."

"Oh, emotional support, like a Schnauzer?"

"Yeah, yeah and I knew you guys wouldn't come with if I told you, so what was I supposed to do?" Klaus defended.

"You're goddamn right I wouldn't have come, Klaus. You know why? Because I'm supposed to be retired!"