Questions From @EricKing9

1)  Saying that there were NO rules, NO agents, NO publishers to appease, and NO need for the income but just writing for the sake of writing but KNOWING you would be published - what topic would you genuinely like to write about?  Would it still fall into the realm of fantasy and/or YA?  Or would there be anything in recent events/your life that you want to express through your writing?

I don't know there's a specific topic that I would want to write about. I have a book due out next year called Freeks, where I basically sat down and was like, "What do you want to write about?" I put together all my favorite things and didn't care if it would sell, and I started writing it before I even pitched it.

But the only things I'd really do differently, if I didn't care about an audience or anything, would be that I swear more, have more sex, and probably more gore.

2)  There aren't many writers out there that have published books featuring strong main characters that are gay/lesbian.  I feel safe in saying that isn't an issue for you, but do you think you'd ever write a book/series where the main character is gay/lesbian?  I guess this ties back into more of #1 since it's taking out all the factors that make a book "sellable" or "publishable".

Yes, I have ideas for books featuring lesbian/bisexual main characters. At the moment, I'm not sure if/when they'll be out because the books themselves are still in the idea phase, and there's a chance that the story will fall apart before it gets to the writing or publishing stage (not because of the sexual orientation of the characters, just because not all stories work). But it is something that I would like to do, so I am certain that I will have a book out with lesbian/bisexual/trans main characters at some point.

3)  Do you think you'll ever write anything other than YA?  Don't get me wrong - I love YA but what other genres would you like to venture into?

Sorry for all the questions - #1 or #2 would be my priority if you do choose to any of mine.  Thanks!

The great thing about YA is that it has such fluid genre ideas. YA isn't even really a genre – it's a suggested reading age. But with adult fiction, you do get pigeonholed more into genre and stuck in the traps and tropes of romance or sci-fi or horror or mystery or what have you.

So while I'm not ruling NA or adult fiction in the future, I enjoy what I'm doing know because I feel like I have more freedom to genre bend and incorporate ideas.

If I did write NA or adult, I think I would write horror. I love monsters.