S4E9: The Piggyback Part 1

This is it.

We're clustered around the table in the motor home, going over the plan for the millionth time. We can't afford to miss a single crucial step. Steve had parked the vehicle in a secluded, eerie part of the woods behind the trailer park, not far from Eddie's trailer. We're all decked out head to toe in the stuff we got at the War Zone. Our weapons are by our sides. We're as prepared as we can be.

Nancy turns to face us, that look of determination burning in her eyes. A look I have become very familiar with the past few years. "Okay. I wanna run through it one more time. Phase one."

"We meet Erica at the playground," I say. "She'll signal Max and Lucas when we're ready."

"Phase two."

"Max baits Vecna," Steve says. "He'll go after her, which'll put him in his trance."

"Phase three?"

"Me and Eddie draw the bats away," Dustin answers. Eddie grins and rubs Dustin's head.

"Four."

"We head into Vecna's newly bat-free lair, and..." Robin holds up one of the Molotov Cocktails, "...flambé."

"Nobody moves on to the next phase until we've all copied. Nobody deviates from the plan, no matter what. Got it?" Nancy looks to all of us.

"Got it," we all answer in unison.

It's a short hike through the woods to Eddie's trailer. I wish it had been longer because the reality of what we're doing seems to hit me like a train the moment we step through the door.

"Be careful," Dustin tells Steve.

"Thanks, buddy. Here goes nothing." Steve starts climbing up the rope made of sheets. He makes it to the top and drops into the Upside Down, landing on his feet. He glances up at us, shrugging like it was no big deal.

"Oooooh. What does he want us to do, applaud?" Robin asks sarcastically, rolling her eyes.

Steve drags the mattress in the Upside Down under the gate. "All right. Let's go."

I hand Robin my backpack. "I'll go." I grasp the sheets tightly, pulling myself up. The gravity of the Upside Down takes over, pulling me down on the mattress below. The cold of the Upside Down rushes over me. Steve holds his hand out, helping me up from the mattress. "Thanks." I smile at him.

Robin gets down on one knee, giving Nancy a boost up. Nancy falls into the Upside Down and I help her up. Our supplies drops down next. Then Eddie, more supplies, and Robin. Dustin finally falls down, then is pulled off the mattress by both Steve and Eddie.

Weapons handy, we head out the door and into the Upside Down, heading to battle.

Steve stops in front of me suddenly, causing me to nearly run into him. He looks like he's fighting with himself over something—like his mind is torn between two different things. He turns to face me, his brown eyes full of worry.

"Why don't you stay with Dustin and Eddie?" He suggests softly. "You can help them with the distraction."

I march closer to him. "If you think I'm letting you go defeat Vecna without me, you're certifiably crazy, Harrington. We do the hero shit together now, remember?"

He brushes his hand over my cheek, sending a shiver down my spine. His hand trails down to the headphones around my neck. "If you feel like Vecna is about to start messing with you again, you put those headphones back on."

"I promise."

Steve turns his attention to Eddie and Dustin. "Hey, guys, listen. If things here start to go south, I mean, at all, you abort. Okay? Draw the attention of the bats. Keep 'em busy for a minute or two. We'll take care of Vecna. Don't try to be cute or be a hero or something. Okay? You guys are just..."